Where Can I Find Mass Profiles of Galaxy Clusters for Gravity Research?

In summary, the person is doing an undergraduate research project on modified theories of gravity and is in need of mass/density profiles of galaxy clusters determined through gravitational lensing measurements. They ask for recommendations of papers by certain authors and mention that there may not be large catalogues of lens profiles available publicly. They also suggest reaching out to authors for raw data. They mention a recent paper that may be relevant to their project.
Mosis
I'm doing an undergraduate research project this term on some modified theories of gravity, and I need some mass/density profiles. Does anyone know any papers that give mass profiles of galaxy clusters determined predominantly through gravitational lensing measurements? The model I'm working with does not change propagation of light (from that predicted by GR) but it does affect motion of massive objects (by changing the effective potential they see), so to test it self-consistently, I need data that was not determined via Newtonian dynamics (e.g. galaxy rotation curve data isn't very useful).

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There are plenty of papers, if you head over to http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html" and search for papers by some of the following authors that should get you started, then play follow the citations...

Treu, T.
Brewer, B.
Marshall, P.
Bartelmann, M.
Clowe, D.
Braduc, M.

That's just a random sample of some lensing people that came to mind, let me know if you don't find what you are after.

As a brief comment, I don't think there are any large catalogues of lens profiles as measured by strong lensing that are public, simply because the process is tricky and highly dependant on how you model various aspects (such as assuming a functional form for for the lens mass profile and/or the source light profile). Entire papers are usuallly devoted to re-constructing single systems. None the less there are plenty of results out there and based on what you find, talking to some of the authors of papers might be a good way to get some of the reconstructed profiles in a raw form (i.e. rather than reading from a plot in a paper).

By the way, given the description of your project, you might find http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.3853" recent paper interesting. It using weak lensing (rather than the strong lensing type approach you are talking about) to look at what appears to be a similar kind of gravity model, based on your description. The results are very interesting, although I have some serious doubts about the methodology. None the less it is clearly a hot topic.

Good luck with your project!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a galaxy cluster mass profile?

A galaxy cluster mass profile is a measurement of the distribution of mass within a galaxy cluster. It shows how much mass is contained within a certain radius from the center of the cluster, and how that mass is distributed throughout the cluster.

2. How is a galaxy cluster mass profile determined?

A galaxy cluster mass profile is determined through a combination of observations and calculations. Scientists use various methods such as gravitational lensing, X-ray measurements, and galaxy dynamics to estimate the mass of the cluster at different distances from its center.

3. Why is it important to study galaxy cluster mass profiles?

Studying galaxy cluster mass profiles can provide valuable insights into the evolution and formation of galaxies and the large-scale structure of the universe. It can also help us understand the nature of dark matter, which makes up a significant portion of the mass in galaxy clusters.

4. How do galaxy cluster mass profiles vary between different clusters?

The mass profiles of galaxy clusters can vary significantly depending on their size, age, and location in the universe. Some clusters may have a smooth distribution of mass, while others may have more substructures and irregularities. The overall shape of the mass profile can also differ from cluster to cluster.

5. Can galaxy cluster mass profiles be used to measure the total mass of a cluster?

Yes, galaxy cluster mass profiles are often used to estimate the total mass of a cluster. By integrating the mass profile, scientists can determine the total amount of mass contained within the cluster. However, it's important to note that this is an indirect measurement and may not account for all sources of mass, such as dark matter and gas.