Galaxy Clusters, Masses and Radius

In summary, a galaxy cluster is a massive structure in the universe composed of thousands of galaxies held together by gravity. Its mass is determined by measuring the velocities of the galaxies within the cluster and its typical mass ranges from 10^14 to 10^15 solar masses. The radius of a galaxy cluster is measured by observing its X-ray emissions, which are caused by the hot gas within the cluster, and the mass of a cluster is directly proportional to its radius due to the relationship between mass and gravity.
Jules Winnfield
This is a request for a good reference. I'm doing a report on dark matter and am wondering if there's any recent references that collects a bunch of galaxy clusters, their dark masses and the radius of the cluster. Preferably in a table that I can shred or download but I'll copy if I have to.

Thanks in advance.

Space news on Phys.org
Likes Jules Winnfield

1. What is a galaxy cluster?

A galaxy cluster is a group of galaxies held together by gravity. It is the largest known structure in the universe and can contain thousands of galaxies.

2. How is the mass of a galaxy cluster determined?

The mass of a galaxy cluster is determined by measuring the velocities of the galaxies within the cluster and using the laws of gravity to calculate the total mass needed to hold them together.

3. What is the typical mass of a galaxy cluster?

The typical mass of a galaxy cluster is around 10^14 to 10^15 solar masses, which is equivalent to trillions of times the mass of our sun.

4. How is the radius of a galaxy cluster measured?

The radius of a galaxy cluster is measured by observing the extent of its X-ray emissions, which are caused by the hot gas within the cluster. This gas is in equilibrium with the cluster's gravitational potential and its extent can be used to determine the cluster's radius.

5. What is the relationship between the mass and the radius of a galaxy cluster?

The mass of a galaxy cluster is directly proportional to its radius, meaning that larger clusters have a greater mass. This is due to the fact that gravity, which holds the cluster together, is a function of both mass and distance.