1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Game Theory] A pedestrian is hit by a car. How many people will help?

Tags:
  1. Nov 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following social problem. A pedestrian is hit by a car and lies injured on the road. There are [itex]n[/itex] people in the vicinity of the accident. The injured pedestrian requires immediate medical attention, which will be forthcoming if at least one of the [itex]n[/itex] people call for help. Simultaneously and independently, each of the [itex]n[/itex] bystanders decides whether or not to call for help (by dialing 911 on a cell phone or pay phone). Each bystander obtains [itex]v[/itex] units of utility if someone (anyone) calls for help. Those who call for help pay a personal cost of [itex]c[/itex] . That is, if person [itex]i[/itex] calls for help, then he obtains the payoff [itex]v-c[/itex]. If person [itex]i[/itex] does not call but at least one other person calls, then person [itex]i[/itex] gets [itex]v[/itex]. Finally, if none of the [itex]n[/itex] people calls for help, then person [itex]i[/itex] obtains 0. Assume [itex]v>c[/itex].

1. The purpose of this question is to find the symmetric Nash equilibrium of this [itex]n[/itex]-player game. This equilibrium is in mixed strategies, i.e. such that each person is indifferent between his/her two possible strategies: to call or not to call. Therefore, each player’s payoff must be equal when he/she calls and when he/she does not call.

a. We already know that player [itex]i[/itex]’s payoff is [itex]v-c[/itex] when he/she calls. Write the payoff of player [itex]i[/itex] when he/she does not call, letting [itex]p[/itex] be the probability that a person does not call for help. Hint: there are [itex]n-1[/itex] players others than player [itex]i[/itex]. Therefore, with probability [itex]p^{n-1}[/itex], no one of the other players will call, and with probability [itex]1-p^{n-1}[/itex] at least one of the other players will call. ​
    b. By setting player [itex]i[/itex]’s payoff equal when he/she calls and does not call, find the probability that a person does not call [itex]p[/itex] in equilibrium (Hint: this will be a function of [itex]c/v[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex]).
    2. Compute the probability that at least one person calls for help in equilibrium [itex] 1-p^n [/itex].
    How does this depend on n? Can you comment? (Hint: to answer the second part of the question you need to differentiate it with respect to [itex]n[/itex]).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    All I need is to figure out what the payoffs are, and I will be able to solve the rest. For part 1.a the payoff I came up with is [itex](1-p^{n-1})v+p^{n-1}(v-c)[/itex], but I am leaning towards the fact that it is wrong. Help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yep. It's wrong. There's a pn-1 probability that no one else calls. What is the payoff in this event?

4. Nov 11, 2013 #3
    If no one calls it is zero. Then, the payoff of the ith player is [itex]p^{n-1}*0+(1-p^{n-1})v[/itex] . So for part b would it be correct to say that [itex]v-c=(1-p^{n-1})v[/itex] ?

5. Nov 11, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Correct. That's your Nash equilibrium.

6. May 25, 2015 #5
    Hmm... he died in a car crash, how ironic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted