[Game Theory] A pedestrian is hit by a car. How many people will help?

In summary, the conversation discusses a social problem where a pedestrian is injured and requires medical attention, but the decision to call for help is left to bystanders. The goal is to find a symmetric Nash equilibrium in which each player is indifferent between calling for help or not. By setting the payoffs of calling and not calling equal, the probability that a person does not call in equilibrium is found to be a function of the cost and utility involved, as well as the number of players. The probability that at least one person calls for help in equilibrium is 1 minus the probability that no one calls, which can be differentiated with respect to the number of players to analyze its dependence.
Dostre

Homework Statement

Consider the following social problem. A pedestrian is hit by a car and lies injured on the road. There are [itex]n[/itex] people in the vicinity of the accident. The injured pedestrian requires immediate medical attention, which will be forthcoming if at least one of the [itex]n[/itex] people call for help. Simultaneously and independently, each of the [itex]n[/itex] bystanders decides whether or not to call for help (by dialing 911 on a cell phone or pay phone). Each bystander obtains [itex]v[/itex] units of utility if someone (anyone) calls for help. Those who call for help pay a personal cost of [itex]c[/itex] . That is, if person [itex]i[/itex] calls for help, then he obtains the payoff [itex]v-c[/itex]. If person [itex]i[/itex] does not call but at least one other person calls, then person [itex]i[/itex] gets [itex]v[/itex]. Finally, if none of the [itex]n[/itex] people calls for help, then person [itex]i[/itex] obtains 0. Assume [itex]v>c[/itex].

1. The purpose of this question is to find the symmetric Nash equilibrium of this [itex]n[/itex]-player game. This equilibrium is in mixed strategies, i.e. such that each person is indifferent between his/her two possible strategies: to call or not to call. Therefore, each player’s payoff must be equal when he/she calls and when he/she does not call.

a. We already know that player [itex]i[/itex]’s payoff is [itex]v-c[/itex] when he/she calls. Write the payoff of player [itex]i[/itex] when he/she does not call, letting [itex]p[/itex] be the probability that a person does not call for help. Hint: there are [itex]n-1[/itex] players others than player [itex]i[/itex]. Therefore, with probability [itex]p^{n-1}[/itex], no one of the other players will call, and with probability [itex]1-p^{n-1}[/itex] at least one of the other players will call.​
b. By setting player [itex]i[/itex]’s payoff equal when he/she calls and does not call, find the probability that a person does not call [itex]p[/itex] in equilibrium (Hint: this will be a function of [itex]c/v[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex]).
2. Compute the probability that at least one person calls for help in equilibrium [itex] 1-p^n [/itex].
How does this depend on n? Can you comment? (Hint: to answer the second part of the question you need to differentiate it with respect to [itex]n[/itex]).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All I need is to figure out what the payoffs are, and I will be able to solve the rest. For part 1.a the payoff I came up with is [itex](1-p^{n-1})v+p^{n-1}(v-c)[/itex], but I am leaning towards the fact that it is wrong. Help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep. It's wrong. There's a pn-1 probability that no one else calls. What is the payoff in this event?

If no one calls it is zero. Then, the payoff of the ith player is [itex]p^{n-1}*0+(1-p^{n-1})v[/itex] . So for part b would it be correct to say that [itex]v-c=(1-p^{n-1})v[/itex] ?

Correct. That's your Nash equilibrium.

Likes 1 person
Hmm... he died in a car crash, how ironic.

1. What is game theory?

Game theory is a branch of mathematics and economics that studies decision-making in situations where individuals or groups have conflicting interests. It involves analyzing the choices and strategies of different players in a game or situation, and predicting the outcomes based on their decisions.

2. How does game theory apply to a pedestrian being hit by a car?

In this scenario, game theory can be applied to analyze the decision-making of bystanders who witness the accident. Each bystander has the choice to help the pedestrian or not, and their decision may be influenced by factors such as social norms, personal values, and potential consequences.

3. What does game theory suggest about the number of people who will help the pedestrian?

Game theory suggests that the number of people who will help the pedestrian depends on the perceived costs and benefits of helping. If the bystanders believe that helping is more beneficial than not helping, then more people are likely to offer assistance.

4. Are there any other factors besides costs and benefits that may influence the decision to help?

Yes, there are other factors that may influence the decision to help, such as personal beliefs, cultural norms, and past experiences. These factors may affect how individuals perceive the costs and benefits of helping, and can ultimately impact their decision.

5. Can game theory predict the exact number of people who will help the pedestrian?

No, game theory cannot predict the exact number of people who will help the pedestrian. It can only provide a theoretical framework for understanding the decision-making process and potential outcomes. Actual outcomes may vary due to the complexity of human behavior and the unique circumstances of each situation.