Gauss’ law and an infinite rod

In summary: I understand why the horizontal component would cancel out, but I’m not sure why there still wouldn’t be an electric field in the upward direction from each side of the rod.In summary, the electric field from an infinitely long charged rod can be described using gauss’s law with a cylinder as a Gaussian surface. The field is only perpendicular to the rod, and the size of the cylinder doesn't matter.
FS98
To find the electric field from an infinitely long charged rod you can use gauss’s law with a cylinder as your Gaussian surface. I don’t quite understand by this works. Wouldn’t the electric field given by the equation only be the electric field cause by the charge within the cylinder? And if that’s the case, how could gauss’s law describe the charge of an infinite rod with a Gaussian cylinder of finite size?

Physics news on Phys.org
By symmetry, you know that the field will be purely radial. Therefore the size of the cylinder doesn't matter, since the charge enclosed and the length of the cylinder both scale linearly. You can also reduce the problem by taking a cut perpendicular to the rod, leaving a 2D disc of charge, and use a circle as a Gaussian "surface".

Likes FS98
DrClaude said:
By symmetry, you know that the field will be purely radial. Therefore the size of the cylinder doesn't matter, since the charge enclosed and the length of the cylinder both scale linearly. You can also reduce the problem by taking a cut perpendicular to the rod, leaving a 2D disc of charge, and use a circle as a Gaussian "surface".
I still don’t quite understand why the equations would yield different results for a finite and infinite rod. For a finite rod, the charge enclosed would be the same and the area of the Gaussian surface would be the same, so I would think that the electric field would also be the same. But in the case of the infinite rod, there are charges outside of the Gaussian cylinder that would cause a vertical electric field.

FS98 said:
But in the case of the infinite rod, there are charges outside of the Gaussian cylinder that would cause a vertical electric field.
The charges on outside the Gaussian cylinder on one side cancel out the field created by the charges on the other side. The field can only be perpendicular to the rod.

Likes FS98
DrClaude said:
The charges on outside the Gaussian cylinder on one side cancel out the field created by the charges on the other side. The field can only be perpendicular to the rod.
I understand why the horizontal component would cancel out, but I’m not sure why there still wouldn’t be an electric field in the upward direction from each side of the rod.

Attachments

• 1880EC33-0F00-4934-BD65-F8452F462423.jpeg
    1880EC33-0F00-4934-BD65-F8452F462423.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 698

1. What is Gauss' law?

Gauss' law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the electric field at a point to the charge enclosed by a surface surrounding that point. It is a mathematical representation of the concept that electric charges create an electric field in their surroundings.

2. How does Gauss' law apply to an infinite rod?

In the case of an infinite rod, Gauss' law states that the electric field at any given distance from the rod is directly proportional to the linear charge density of the rod and inversely proportional to the distance from the rod. This allows us to mathematically calculate the electric field at any point in space surrounding the rod.

3. What is an infinite rod?

An infinite rod is a theoretical object in physics that has an infinite length and a constant linear charge density. It is often used as a simplified model to understand the behavior of electric fields in certain situations.

4. How do you apply Gauss' law to calculate the electric field of an infinite rod?

To apply Gauss' law to an infinite rod, you first need to choose a Gaussian surface surrounding the rod. This surface can be a cylinder with its axis parallel to the rod. Then, using the formula for Gauss' law, you can calculate the electric field at any point on the surface by integrating the electric field due to the charge distribution over the surface.

5. What are some real-life applications of Gauss' law and an infinite rod?

One of the most common applications of Gauss' law and an infinite rod is in the design of electrical transmission lines. The electric field created by the charged wires in the transmission line can be calculated using Gauss' law, which helps engineers determine the optimal design for efficient transmission of electricity.