Why infinite conducting rod - Gauss's Law , uses lambda?

In summary, when calculating the electric field of an infinite thin-walled cylindrical shell or conducting rod, it is more convenient and simpler to use linear charge density, λ, rather than surface charge density, σ. This is because the problem can be solved using either method, but using λ eliminates the need to consider the length of the conductor, which is 0. Additionally, since the conductor only has length and not area, using λ is a more logical choice.
annoyingdude666
hi, i still don't understand why infinite thin-walled cylindrical shell or conducting rod use lambda rather than sigma ?
lambda = C/m ,,, sigma = C/m^2

i mean when we look at conducting rod, the charges inside the conductor is zero, so the charges spread on the surface of conducting rod(have same form as thin-walled cylindrical shell), which is when we calculate the electricfield use gauss's Law using formula :

integral(E . dA) = q enclosed / vacuum permitivity

the q enclosed is sigma times the surface area , rather than lambda times length ?

i find this from "Fundamental of Physics" Halliday Resnick

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello
annoyingdude666 said:
hi, i still don't understand why infinite thin-walled cylindrical shell or conducting rod use lambda rather than sigma ?
lambda = C/m ,,, sigma = C/m^2

i mean when we look at conducting rod, the charges inside the conductor is zero, so the charges spread on the surface of conducting rod(have same form as thin-walled cylindrical shell), which is when we calculate the electricfield use gauss's Law using formula :

integral(E . dA) = q enclosed / vacuum permitivity

the q enclosed is sigma times the surface area , rather than lambda times length ?

i find this from "Fundamental of Physics" Halliday Resnick
Hello annoyingdude666 . Welcome to PF.

Using linear density, λ, is often more convenient than using surface charge density, σ . If the problem can be solved with either method, I would use the simpler method.

SammyS said:
Hello

Hello annoyingdude666 . Welcome to PF.

Using linear density, λ, is often more convenient than using surface charge density, σ . If the problem can be solved with either method, I would use the simpler method.

hello SammyS
thank you for answering my question
btw, i still don't understand.
what do you mean by "more convenient" or "more simpler" ? can u explain why ?

because from what i know, the charges of conducting rod spread on its surface (surface = area), so why we use lambda rather than sigma ?
it doesn't make sense to me hehe

annoyingdude666 said:
hello SammyS
thank you for answering my question
btw, i still don't understand.
what do you mean by "more convenient" or "more simpler" ? can u explain why ?

because from what i know, the charges of conducting rod spread on its surface (surface = area), so why we use lambda rather than sigma ?
it doesn't make sense to me hehe
This is similar to the case of a charged conducting sphere. You could go through the trouble of finding the surface charge density, However, the electric field external to the sphere is the same as if were to replace the sphere with an equal charge placed at the sphere's center.

Similarly, if the charge on the surface of the infinitely long cylindrical conductor is replaced by the corresponding linear charge placed along the cylinder's axis, the electric field external to the conductor remains the same.

Likes cnh1995
Hello annoyingdude666. I am a beginner at this, so please bear with me:

According to what you originally asked, integral(E . dA) = q enclosed / vacuum permitivity

So yes, we can say E = q(in) / (permitivity*2πrl) = sigma*A / permitivity. However, at this stage, we are dealing with interactions between these charged wires/plates, and particles; therefore, we only need to know how far the particle is from the wire, rather than how long it is, since it has 0 length. That is why SammyS was saying it is more convenient to say E = lambda*l/permitivity = lambda /(2πr*permitivity*r), where r is perpendicular distance from wire, then to leave it as E = sigma/permitivity

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-7_8-33-31.png
    upload_2016-2-7_8-33-31.png
    241 bytes · Views: 610
^Since the wire only has length, and not area, it also makes more sense to use lambda rather than sigma

1. Why is an infinite conducting rod used in Gauss's Law?

An infinite conducting rod is used in Gauss's Law because it simplifies the calculation and allows for easier application of the law. The infinite length of the rod means that the electric field is constant along its length, making it easier to calculate the total electric field using Gauss's Law.

2. How does lambda relate to an infinite conducting rod in Gauss's Law?

Lambda, or linear charge density, is used in Gauss's Law to represent the charge per unit length of the infinite conducting rod. This allows for a more precise calculation of the electric field using the law.

3. Can Gauss's Law be applied to finite conducting rods?

Yes, Gauss's Law can also be applied to finite conducting rods. However, the calculation becomes more complicated as the electric field is no longer constant along the length of the rod.

4. Why is Gauss's Law used to calculate the electric field of an infinite conducting rod?

Gauss's Law is used to calculate the electric field of an infinite conducting rod because it is a powerful tool for solving problems with symmetry. The infinite length of the rod provides a simpler and more symmetric situation for the application of the law.

5. How does an infinite conducting rod differ from a finite conducting rod in Gauss's Law?

An infinite conducting rod is assumed to have an infinite length and uniform charge distribution, making the electric field constant along its length. A finite conducting rod, on the other hand, has a limited length and non-uniform charge distribution, making the electric field vary along its length. This difference affects the application and calculation of Gauss's Law for these two types of rods.