Gauss' law and charged spheres

In summary, the person is struggling with understanding Gauss' Law and its application in physics problems. They provide their approach to a specific problem, but are unsure if it is correct. They also mention using the formula Q = σ * A for finding the net charge on the surface of a conductor, rather than Q = σ * V. They are seeking feedback on their understanding.
recomendacion
Hi everyone, I am struggling with gauss law. I understand the basic concept , but I can not relate it to other physics problems. I have this physics problem. I want to really understand physics, but I can't. I have watched a lo of videos but I still don't understand. I am going to give my approach to this problem and you guys tell me what is the problem in my understanding in physics

I understand that in a electrostatic condition, the net field inside the conductor must be zero otherwise particles would be moving. If we consider a circle with a cavity without charge, i would expect that the surface doesn't have any charge either, but if we place a charge in the cavity, there must be a charge in the surface to compensate this charge.

In the problem, the outer radius I think is the radius of the sphere and the inner radius the one of the cavity. If we place a charge in the cavity there must be a contrapositive charge to this charge on the surface of the cavity. Hence the charge is negative -q, there must be a +q charge in the surface of the cavity. Then we have to compensate to the charge in the outer surface so we need place a -q charge. I think that we have to calculate the original net charge on the surface of the conductor and then subtract this -q. Therefore, with the result find the new charge density.

Procedure

Q=σ*V
Q=6.67*10^-6*(4/3*PI*(0.243)^3
Q=4.008*10^-7
so this is the net charge on the surface of the conductor

Qnew=4.008*10^-7-0.870*10^-6=-4.692*10^-7

σnew=(-4.692*10^-7)/(4/3*pi*(0.243^3)
σnew=-2.68*10^-7 C/m^2

This is probably very wrong.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2014-09-11 a la(s) 8.50.10 p.m..jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2014-09-11 a la(s) 8.50.10 p.m..jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
recomendacion said:
Procedure

Q=σ*V
Q=6.67*10^-6*(4/3*PI*(0.243)^3

Since the charge is only on the surface, you don't use [itex]Q = \sigma * V[/itex], you use [itex]Q = \sigma * A[/itex] where [itex]A[/itex] is the surface area, [itex]4 \pi r^2[/itex]

1. What is Gauss' law?

Gauss' law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the net electric charge enclosed within that surface. It is a mathematical statement of the fact that electric charges create electric fields.

2. How does Gauss' law apply to charged spheres?

Gauss' law can be used to calculate the electric field around a charged sphere by considering the electric flux through a Gaussian surface surrounding the sphere. This allows for a simplified calculation of the electric field, as the sphere can be treated as a point charge at the center of the Gaussian surface.

3. What is a Gaussian surface?

A Gaussian surface is an imaginary closed surface that is used to calculate the electric field using Gauss' law. It can be any shape, but it is often chosen to have a simple geometry, such as a sphere or cylinder, to make the calculations easier.

4. How does Gauss' law relate to Coulomb's law?

Gauss' law is a generalization of Coulomb's law. While Coulomb's law only applies to point charges, Gauss' law can be applied to any charge distribution. Additionally, Gauss' law is a mathematical statement while Coulomb's law is an empirical law based on experimental observations.

5. What is the significance of Gauss' law?

Gauss' law is an important tool for understanding and calculating electric fields. It allows us to solve problems involving complex charge distributions and is an essential tool in the study of electromagnetism. Additionally, it is one of the four Maxwell's equations, which form the foundation of classical electromagnetism.