Solve Gauss' Law: Volume Charge Density in Region r > a

In summary: If so, can you send me a copy so I can check it?I don't think so. I'm not sure where you would get a copy of the text.
EricVT

Homework Statement

An electric field in the region r > a is given by

E,r = 2*A*cos(theda)/r^3
E,theda = A*sin(theda)/r^3
E,phi = 0
A = constant

Find the volume charge density in this region.

E,r and E,theda and E,phi are the components of E in the r, theda, and phi directions, respectively.

Homework Equations

div E = p/eo

p = volume charge density
E = electric field
eo = permittivity of free space
div is divergence

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I started by calculating the divergence of E in spherical coordinates and got that it is equal to zero. So p/eo = 0 ==> p = 0?

This isn't correct, so I'm confused on what I need to do. Does r > a have some significance? It gives no information about what sort of volume this is or what a is, and there are no diagrams or anything.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried calculating the divergence, and I didn't get zero. I won't guarantee I'm right, but it sure doesn't look like it can cancel to zero unless you are working at a particular point?

Well let me write out my work here and maybe I can catch my mistake.

div E = (1/r^2)*d(r^2*E,r)/dr + (1/[r*sin(theda)])*d(sin(theda)*E,theda))/d(theda) + ...

I won't write out the phi term because E,phi = zero so it is just zero.

div E = (1/r^2)*d(2Acos(theda)/r))/dr + (1/[r*sin(theda)])*d(Asin^2(theda)/r^3))/d(theda)

div E = (1/r^2)(-2*A*cos(theda)/r^2) + (1/[r*sin(theda)])(2Asin(theda)cos(theda)/r^3)

div E = -2Acos(theda)/r^4 + 2Acos(theda)/r^4 = 0

Hmm, I'm not catching my mistake if I did make one.

EricVT said:
Well let me write out my work here and maybe I can catch my mistake.

div E = (1/r^2)*d(r^2*E,r)/dr + (1/[r*sin(theda)])*d(sin(theda)*E,theda))/d(theda) + ...

you have the formula wrong here... check the divergence formula for spherical coordinates carefully...

Ah, ha. Ok, so theta is the polar angle and phi is the equatorial one? I was taking it the other way around (I've seen it both ways). If so then I agree it is zero. But if you say that isn't correct, then are you sure you have them right?

[tex] \nabla \cdot A = \frac {1}{r^2} \frac {\partial}{\partial r} (r^2 A_{r}) \ +\ \frac {1}{r sin \theta} \frac {\partial}{\partial \theta} (sin \theta A_{\theta}) \ +\ \frac {1}{r sin \theta} \frac {\partial A_{\phi}}{\partial \phi}[/tex]

This is what is written in the reference section of my text for the divergence in spherical coordinates. Is this wrong?

If that's from the same text as the problem, then we can assume the same conventions are being used. In that case, yes, the divergence and the local charge density are zero. Whatever is saying that isn't correct, isn't correct. I think the r>a part just means you can assume you are not at the origin where things become singular.

Is the problem from the text?

1. What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is one of the four Maxwell's equations in classical electromagnetism. It describes the relationship between the electric field and the distribution of electric charge in a given region.

2. How do you solve Gauss' Law for volume charge density?

To solve Gauss' Law for volume charge density, you need to use the integral form of the law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. By setting up the appropriate integral and solving for the volume charge density, you can determine the distribution of charge within a given region.

3. What is the significance of the region r > a in Gauss' Law?

The region r > a in Gauss' Law refers to the distance from the center of the charge distribution. This means that the law applies to regions outside of the charge distribution, where the electric field can be calculated using the enclosed charge and the distance from the center.

4. Can Gauss' Law be applied to any charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be applied to any charge distribution, as long as the distribution is symmetric and can be described by a closed surface. This includes point charges, line charges, and surface charges.

5. What are the units of volume charge density?

The units of volume charge density are coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3). This represents the amount of charge per unit volume in a given region.