Understanding Gaussian Beam Contraction and Divergence in Optics

In summary, the q parameter expression for lasers can be written as 1/q = 1/R - j(λ/πw^2), where w(z) represents the decrease in field amplitude E with distance. This can result in a beam with decreasing diameter, which can be achieved with lenses or through non-linearity in the resonator. In order to represent a beam with non-plane phase front and non-uniform intensity profile, a complex function like psi(x,y,z)exp(-jkz) is often used in optics. This is because complex functions are easier to work with and can accurately represent the desired beam.
zebanaqvi
I am new to lasers. In the expression for q parameter, 1/q = 1/R - j(λ/πw^2)
how did we come to know that w(z) is a measure of decrease in field amplitude E with distance? I can't feel it.

Does the gaussian beam itself contract to the minimum diameter? Shouldn't a lens be required for this? I can understand the divergence of the beam but not the contraction.

Can anybody please make me understand both mathematically and physically?
Regards,
Zeb

Physics news on Phys.org
if you "start" with a collimated beam, then it will always expand in diameter.

but sometimes for a variety of reasons you can get a beam that will have beams with decreasing diameter as it propagates until it forms the beams waist and start to expand again.
Such beams are easily created, like you said, with lenses. fabry-perot laser beams sometimes come with a decreasing diameter probably due to the non linearity of the components in the resonator.

does that answer your question?

Thanks a lot :)
Sorry, what I am about to ask might be lame.
I have the helmholtz equation, and I want to solution to represent a beam whose phase front is not plane always, whose intensity profile is not uniform across the cross section. What function should I try out? You'll say complex. Something like psi(x,y,z)exp(-jkz) where psi is a complex function. Please explain me why should psi be complex? Is it that only a complex function will be able to represent the desired beam? y?

As a scientist in the field of optics, I can certainly provide some insight into Gaussian beam contraction and divergence. The q parameter, 1/q = 1/R - j(λ/πw^2), is a representation of the complex beam parameter in Gaussian beam optics. This parameter is used to describe the size and shape of the Gaussian beam as it propagates through space.

In this expression, w(z) represents the beam waist, which is the minimum diameter of the beam. This parameter is related to the decrease in field amplitude with distance by the equation E(z) = E0 * exp(-z^2/w(z)^2), where E0 is the initial field amplitude and z is the distance from the beam waist. This means that as the beam propagates, the field amplitude decreases with distance from the beam waist, which is a measure of the beam's contraction.

It is important to note that the Gaussian beam itself does not physically contract to the minimum diameter. This minimum diameter is a mathematical representation of the beam's intensity distribution. In reality, the beam will continue to diverge due to diffraction effects. However, the Gaussian beam model is a useful approximation for describing the behavior of laser beams in many practical situations.

To understand this mathematically, we can look at the expression for the beam waist, w(z) = w0 * √(1 + (λ*z/π*w0^2)^2), where w0 is the initial beam waist and λ is the wavelength of the laser. This equation shows that as the beam propagates, the beam waist increases with distance, leading to a decrease in the field amplitude.

Physically, we can think of the beam waist as the point where the beam is most tightly focused. As the beam propagates away from this point, it begins to spread out due to diffraction, resulting in a decrease in the field amplitude. This is why a lens is often required to focus the beam to a desired spot size.

I hope this explanation helps you to better understand the concepts of Gaussian beam contraction and divergence in optics. Remember that this is a simplified model and that in reality, the beam will continue to diverge due to diffraction effects. However, the Gaussian beam model is a useful tool for describing the behavior of laser beams in many practical applications.

Related to Understanding Gaussian Beam Contraction and Divergence in Optics

What is a Gaussian Beam Parameter?

A Gaussian Beam Parameter is a set of values used to describe the characteristics of a Gaussian beam, which is a type of laser beam with a bell-shaped intensity profile.

What are the important Gaussian Beam Parameters?

The important Gaussian Beam Parameters include waist size, divergence angle, and Rayleigh range. These values describe the size, shape, and intensity of the beam.

How do you calculate Gaussian Beam Parameters?

Gaussian Beam Parameters can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the laser's wavelength, the beam's diameter, and the properties of the laser's optical components.

What is the significance of Gaussian Beam Parameters in laser technology?

Gaussian Beam Parameters are important in laser technology because they determine the quality and performance of a laser beam. They are also used in designing optical systems and aligning laser beams.

Why are Gaussian Beam Parameters important in laser beam shaping and focusing?

Gaussian Beam Parameters are crucial in laser beam shaping and focusing because they determine the beam's intensity distribution and allow for precise control of the beam's size and shape. This is essential in applications such as laser cutting and micromachining.