How Does Grounding Affect Charge Distribution on a Conductor?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with a metal ring and a point charge inside, where the ground is connected to the ring. It is explained that the negative charges inside the ring redistribute to cancel the charge on the inside, and the positive charges on the outside of the ring are evenly distributed when the ground is not connected. However, the conversation also mentions that the TA said this is only true when the ground is not connected, and there is a difference in distribution for conductors with and without a ground present. The conversation then delves into further details of the experiment, including the potential differences and what would happen if the ground was removed. The expert summarizer clarifies that when something is grounded, it does not have a predetermined charge
zippeh
So I am extremely confused at the moment. We had a hollow ring in physics lab today. There was a positive charge (30V) inside the sphere that was no centered and then the ground was attached to the ring itself (0 V). So, I understand that the negative charges unevenly distribute to cancel the charge on the inside. To my understanding, the positive charges on the outside of the ring would be evenly distributed. Now, I'm not sure if this is correct because my TA said this is only true when the ground is not connected. So, what is the difference in distribution for conductors when there is a ground present and when there is none on both the outside and the inside.

I understand that when the ground is not present, then the ring will have a positive NET charge and there will be a field on the outside of the ring. When the ground is present, it allows the ring to cancel out the charge and there to be no NET charge on the ring. Am I correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
zippeh said:
There was a positive charge (30V)
30 V is a potential, not a charge.

Also, your experimental setup is not clear to me. I might be able to draw a mental picture of it, but I fear it may or may not be accurate. Can you describe in more detail exactly what your setup was? Can you explain exactly what you mean by
zippeh said:
To my understanding, the positive charges on the outside of the ring would be evenly distributed.
Evenly distributed in terms of what?

zippeh said:
I understand that when the ground is not present, then the ring will have a positive NET charge and there will be a field on the outside of the ring. When the ground is present, it allows the ring to cancel out the charge and there to be no NET charge on the ring. Am I correct? Thanks!
When something is grounded, it does not have a predetermined charge. It will obtain the charge necessary to minimise the total energy of the system while maintaining the grounded conductor at zero potential.

Sorry, that is what I meant to say with the potential. Anyways, to be more clear this is the setup of the experiment. We had a metal ring that was screwed to a carbon sheet of paper with wing nuts and screws. Then a screw and wing nut was placed inside the metal ring, but it was not centered. The positive lead went to the non-centered screw and wing nut. The ground went to the metal ring (one of the many screws and wing nuts holding it to the paper). The potential differed within the ring, but did not outside of it. My TA was explaining that since the metal is a conductor, the negative charges are free to flow to the inside of the ring to cancel out the point charge inside of it.

I am confused as to what happens to the outside surface of the ring in this experiment to cause no potential difference at any point. Also, WHAT WOULD happen if the ground was removed. Would there be a net charge if I drew a ring around the metal ring and used Guass's law, because when the ground is present there is no net charge.

Thanks for your time!

zippeh said:
because when the ground is present there is no net charge.

This is wrong. Connected to ground does not mean no net charge, as I already mentioned in the previous post.

You're misunderstanding me. Since the ground is present, it allows for excessive positive charges to flow. This allows, when a circle is drawn enclosing the ring with the charge inside the ring, there will be a net charge of 0.

zippeh said:
I am confused as to what happens to the outside surface of the ring in this experiment to cause no potential difference at any point.

I believe the electrons distribute themselves in such a way as to cancel out the difference in potential.

Also, WHAT WOULD happen if the ground was removed. Would there be a net charge if I drew a ring around the metal ring and used Guass's law, because when the ground is present there is no net charge.

Hmm... my understanding is that if you remove the ground after the electron redistribute themselves, then there's no change . If you don't attach a ground in the first place then you will have a net charge.

1. What is Gauss's Law and how does it relate to conductors?

Gauss's Law is one of the four fundamental laws of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric charges and electric fields. It states that the net electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. In the case of conductors, the electric field inside a conductor is zero due to the movement of charges within the conductor, known as electrostatic shielding.

2. Why is Gauss's Law important in the study of conductors?

Gauss's Law is important in the study of conductors because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and charges within conductors. It allows us to determine the distribution of charges on a conductor's surface and to calculate the net electric flux through a closed surface. This understanding is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits and devices.

3. Can Gauss's Law be applied to non-uniformly charged conductors?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to non-uniformly charged conductors. In this case, the surface integral of the electric field over a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface, divided by the permittivity of free space. The only difference is that the calculation becomes more complex, as the electric field is not constant throughout the surface.

4. How does the shape and size of a conductor affect the electric field inside?

The shape and size of a conductor have a significant impact on the electric field inside. According to Gauss's Law, the electric field inside a conductor is zero, regardless of its shape or size. However, the electric field on the surface of a conductor is not necessarily zero and can vary depending on the shape and size of the conductor. This is because the distribution of charges on the surface of a conductor is influenced by its shape and size.

5. Is Gauss's Law only applicable to conductors?

No, Gauss's Law is applicable to any region of space with an electric field, whether it contains conductors or not. It is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that applies to any charged object or distribution of charges. However, it is particularly useful in the study of conductors due to the behavior of electric fields and charges within these materials.