Gearing Backlash Arcsine to Arc minutes

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating backlash in a gearbox for a specific gear ratio and whether the approach is correct. The suggested method involves taking into account end play and using a formula with arcsine to calculate the amount of backlash in arc minutes. The conversation also mentions the effects of end play on different types of gears and the importance of accounting for backlash in multi-stage gear trains. The concept of self-alignment and its impact on backlash is also briefly mentioned.
SevenToFive
Working on a project at work for backlash in a gearbox. I need to know the amount of backlash in arc minutes that this particular ratio has. Wondering if my approach is on the right path.
So can calculate the loose tolerance by the amount of end play in the input shaft and output shaft, add the input tolerance and output shaft tolerance together, divide by the gear pitch diameter, then divide by 2 for the radius. That should give me the sine of the degree, if I take the arc sine (sin^-1) of that value it will give me the degrees that I can multiply by 60 to get arc minutes. Does my approach sound correct?

Thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The end play will affect the radial backlash with helical, herring bone, or worm gearing. With straight cut gears it has no effect. Even then endplay contribution could be in addition to the backlash from the tooth clearences. Also, realize that for a multi-stage gear train, the backlash from each stage will be multiplied by the gear ratios of each succeding stage.

Your formula using arcsin is valid for straight cut gears as far as it goes. If not straight cut, account for the end play at each stage because it will contribute to the effective tooth clearence.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes SevenToFive
Herringbone gears are usually designed to float in self-alignment since they cancel axial thrust, giving them the maximum backlash.

A herringbone gear pair, one fixed, the other with a “spring loaded” axial thrust will not have backlash. The two halves will be operating on the opposite faces of the teeth. That remains the case until sufficient torque is available to overcome the axial spring pre-loading.

Likes SevenToFive and Tom.G
Thank you Tom G and Baluncore.

1. What is gearing backlash arcsine?

Gearing backlash arcsine is a mathematical calculation used to measure the amount of movement or play in gears. It is used to determine the accuracy and precision of gear systems.

2. How is gearing backlash arcsine calculated?

The formula for gearing backlash arcsine is arcsin(D/P), where D is the distance between the two gears and P is the circular pitch of the gear teeth. This calculation gives the amount of play or movement in terms of radians.

3. What is the formula for converting gearing backlash arcsine to arc minutes?

The formula for converting gearing backlash arcsine to arc minutes is (arcsin(D/P)) * (180/pi) * 60. This gives the amount of play or movement in terms of arc minutes, which is a more commonly used unit of measurement in gear systems.

4. Why is gearing backlash arcsine important in gear systems?

Gearing backlash arcsine is important because it helps to determine the accuracy and precision of gear systems. It allows engineers to make adjustments and improvements to ensure that gears are working properly and efficiently.

5. How can gearing backlash arcsine be reduced?

To reduce gearing backlash arcsine, engineers can use techniques such as precision machining, proper gear alignment, and adding backlash compensators. These methods help to minimize the amount of play or movement in gear systems, resulting in more accurate and efficient gear operation.