Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gee, that's swell

1. Dec 24, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got my wisdom teeth out Friday morning. The first day it was like nothing happened. No swelling or soreness. (of course, I keep the Vicoden coming - wheee!) Day two my face poofed up on one side. Today, day 3, I am the most swollen of all. Everyone had warned me the third day was the worst for swelling. Why the three day delay?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sorry you're not feeling well MIH. Keep following instructions and try not to get dry socket.

4. Dec 24, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's about how long it takes for a full blown inflammatory reaction to build up. Day 2 is when the swelling starts, and Day 3 when it really gets bad, but then it'll start going down again (you will still look like a chipmunk in the Christmas pictures though...sorry). You'll just have to sing like this:
    http://links2love.com/christmas-songs-chipmunk-song.htm

5. Dec 24, 2006 #4
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Mine poofed up right away, and went down durring the course of a week. Try some ice, it may help. If it dosen't, try a little Jack in your nog..then think only happy thoughts.

6. Dec 24, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ice will help for pain, but you can also try hot compresses on your cheek to draw out the swelling.

Now, why does that sound dirty? :rofl: (Note, don't take the Vicodin if you're going to be drinking! That's a dangerous combination.)

7. Dec 24, 2006 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I totally look like a Chipmunk. hee hee, but so does my brother since he got his done the same day. (Ironically his name is Theodore - I guess I will have to be Alvin or Simon).
    The side where they only took out wisdom teeth is totally fine, but on the other side they took out a wisdom tooth on the bottom and a messed up root-canalled molar on top which turned out to have an abcess and they had to do sinus repair surgery. I am under doctor's orders not to sneeze or blow my nose for a week!

8. Dec 24, 2006 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

luckily I am home and Mommy is fixing me ice packs and taking care of me and my brother. I am so glad I didn't try to do this by myself.

9. Dec 24, 2006 #8
    How can you be on doctor's orders not to sneeze? Isn't NOT sneezing dangerous?

10. Dec 24, 2006 #9

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can remember when my sister had hers out. She looked a bit like a chipmunk before, so you can imagine what she looked in the days immediately after.

Don't get too near someone using pepper on the turkey (or whatever)!

11. Dec 24, 2006 #10
    Waaaaa I miss my Mommy! Shes in New Mexico, but thats sooo much like what she would do. Ca'mon ya'all come down and get your teeth pulled!

12. Dec 24, 2006 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah, I am taking antihistamines twice a day so I don't start sneezing. so far, so good. But it will be harder when I get back to L.A. I think.

13. Dec 24, 2006 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Sorry about the discomfort - you're lucky that you've got someone to ease the load for a few days until you're feeling better. I'll keep you in mind tonight when I'm enjoying jalapeno poppers and beer. :devil: Hey! put down that cod! :eek:

14. Dec 24, 2006 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

she has been making us potato soup and banana milk shakes.:smile: I hope to eat a "real" dinner tonight though.

15. Dec 24, 2006 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm too loopy from the Vicoden to take a swing, turbo, so you're off the hook for now.

16. Dec 24, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't think sneezing was really a choice. :bugeye: That would be miserable to be told not to blow your nose too, but at least that's something you can choose to do (are you allowed to pick your nose? :biggrin:).

Okay, ugh, yeah, mucking about with sinuses and abcesses is definitely going to cause more swelling than just wisdom tooth removal. On the up-side, maybe that will resolve some sinus problems for you if that was the cause of them.

17. Dec 24, 2006 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It certainly explains some problems I was having with that tooth and with frequent sinus and ear infections. I think I will be much healthier in the new year.:smile: I am doing much better this afternoon - I just ate a hamburger.

18. Dec 24, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, hamburgers are challenging after having teeth removed...you have to open your mouth pretty big to fit one in! :biggrin: You definitely must be feeling better (or are still enjoying that Vicodin).

Edit: :rofl: I just noticed your new avatar! A pufferfish seems appropriate! :rofl:

19. Dec 24, 2006 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hope you feel better soon, puffy!

20. Dec 24, 2006 #19

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Ouch!!!

I hope the inflammation decreases quickly and you feel better soon.

I had an abcessed tooth once which required a root canal as soon as I could get an appointment - I think the next day actually. I had to put ice on the gum to kill the pain.

I was lucky with wisdom teeth - I only had one which came in more or less normally. The dentist pulled it with the usual pliers, except he had to use both hands to pull and had to put his foot on the chair for leverage - I kid you not.

21. Dec 24, 2006 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to smash the hamburger really flat and then nibble on it. But it was really good. I am getting burned out on soup.
    Thanks! I am trying to be patient. *sigh*

I was a little worried it might be a Texas style extraction and I might wake up with boot prints on my shirt!:eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?