General Continuity Proof Question

In summary, the conversation discussed how to prove the continuity of the function 3x^{2}-2x+1 at the point x=3. The approach involved showing that the function is continuous at x=3 by using the definition of continuity and setting an appropriate value for delta. It was also mentioned that it is important to be clear about the type of question being asked.
kathrynag
Ok, let's say I had [tex]3x^{2}-2x+1[/tex]
I know we have lx-2l<[tex]\delta[/tex]
Also l(x-2)(3x+4)l<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]
My problem with these types of questions is dealing with the l3x+4l. I just don't really know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are looking for. However x~2 means that 3x+4~10. To be more precise |3x+4 - 10| < 3(delta).

We can restrict δ > 0 to be as small as we want, so let's say δ ≤ 1. Then using |x - 2| < δ ≤ 1, show that |3x + 4| < 13, so that |(x - 2)(3x + 4)| < 13δ. In order for |(x - 2)(3x + 4)| to be less than ε, you can just pick any δ ≤ ε / 13; δ = max{1, ε / 13} does it.

Last edited:
It is generally a good idea to actually say what you mean! you say "these types of questions" without saying WHAT types of questions. Probably you mean "prove that 3x2- 2x+ 1 is continuous at x= 3". that's what adriank assumed an he gave a very nice explanation.

Ok, I understand that. I just wasn't sure what to do when I got a quadratic because I understood these questions just fine otherwise.

Related to General Continuity Proof Question

1. What is a general continuity proof question?

A general continuity proof question is a mathematical problem that involves proving the continuity of a function over a given interval or set of points. It often requires the use of calculus and the definition of continuity, which states that a function is continuous if it has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph.

2. How do I approach a general continuity proof question?

The first step in approaching a general continuity proof question is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, you should try to identify any known conditions or properties of the function that may help in the proof. From there, you can use mathematical techniques such as the epsilon-delta definition or the intermediate value theorem to prove the continuity of the function.

3. Can I use visual aids in a general continuity proof question?

Yes, using visual aids such as graphs or diagrams can often be helpful in understanding and proving the continuity of a function. These aids can provide a visual representation of the function and its behavior, making it easier to identify any potential breaks or discontinuities.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid in a general continuity proof question?

One common mistake in a general continuity proof question is assuming that a function is continuous without properly proving it. It is important to carefully follow the steps and logic in the proof, and not make any assumptions without proper justification. Another mistake is overlooking the role of limits in proving continuity, as they are crucial in the epsilon-delta definition of continuity.

5. What are some real-life applications of general continuity proof questions?

General continuity proof questions have many real-life applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to prove the continuity of a velocity or acceleration function in physics, or to analyze the continuity of a demand or supply curve in economics.