Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Continuity Proof Question

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    Ok, let's say I had [tex]3x^{2}-2x+1[/tex]
    I know we have lx-2l<[tex]\delta[/tex]
    Also l(x-2)(3x+4)l<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]
    My problem with these types of questions is dealing with the l3x+4l. I just don't really know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you are looking for. However x~2 means that 3x+4~10. To be more precise |3x+4 - 10| < 3(delta).

4. Nov 21, 2008 #3
    We can restrict δ > 0 to be as small as we want, so let's say δ ≤ 1. Then using |x - 2| < δ ≤ 1, show that |3x + 4| < 13, so that |(x - 2)(3x + 4)| < 13δ. In order for |(x - 2)(3x + 4)| to be less than ε, you can just pick any δ ≤ ε / 13; δ = max{1, ε / 13} does it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  5. Nov 21, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is generally a good idea to actually say what you mean! you say "these types of questions" without saying WHAT types of questions. Probably you mean "prove that 3x2- 2x+ 1 is continuous at x= 3". that's what adriank assumed an he gave a very nice explanation.

6. Nov 26, 2008 #5
    Ok, I understand that. I just wasn't sure what to do when I got a quadratic because I understood these questions just fine otherwise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?