General definition of parameter

In summary, a parameter is a variable that can be used to express coordinates in terms of additional variables. It is not necessarily constant or slow-changing, as commonly believed. This meaning is different from the general definition of a parameter as described on the website.
Ravik Rocha
I'm reading a very general definition of parameter on this site Parameter definition - Math Insight.

I didn't understand why we call the variable $t$ of the curve $\alpha(t)=(\cos t,\sin t)$ a parameter.

For me $t$ in this case is a variable too according to the definition of the site I linked. If the definition of this site is right a parameter is either constant or change slower than the variable, which is not the case with this curve.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum!

I think the meaning of "parameter" is different in this context. This meaning is described in the article about parametrized curves.

In general we use the word "parameter" when we have an xy- coordinate system (in two dimensions) or and xyz- coordinate system (in three dimensions) but have the coordinates written in terms of some additional variables, other than x, y, and z.

"For me [FONT=MathJax_Math]t[/FONT] in this case is a variable too". Yes, t is a variable but that has nothing to do with whether it is a "parameter" or not. A parameter is always a variable.

Yes, the site you link to says "while parameters typically either don't change or change more slowly". That makes no sense to me even with the word "typically"! A common use of a "parameter" is in motion problems where the coordinates, x, y, and z, change as t, the time, changes. The case of a very slow moving an object is an example in which the parameter, t, changes much faster than the coordinates.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet!

Related to General definition of parameter

1. What is the general definition of a parameter?

A parameter is a measurable characteristic or variable that is used to describe a system, process, or phenomenon. It can also refer to a constant value that influences the behavior of a system.

2. How is a parameter different from a variable?

A parameter is a specific value that is used in a mathematical equation or statistical model, while a variable is a placeholder for any value that can change. Parameters are often used to represent fixed values, while variables are used to represent changing values.

3. What are some examples of parameters in science?

There are many examples of parameters in science, such as the speed of light in a vacuum, the gravitational constant, and the boiling point of water. In biology, parameters could include a person's height or blood pressure, while in chemistry, parameters could include the melting point of a substance or the pH of a solution.

4. How are parameters determined and measured?

Parameters are often determined through experiments or observations and are measured using specific units and instruments. In some cases, parameters may be calculated or estimated based on other known values or relationships.

5. Why are parameters important in scientific research?

Parameters are important because they help scientists understand and describe complex systems and phenomena. By identifying and measuring parameters, scientists can make predictions, test hypotheses, and draw conclusions about the natural world.