General Expression for Round Metric on an N-sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression for the round metric of an n-sphere of radius r, with specific examples given for a 3-sphere. The general expression for an n-sphere can be determined by examining the results for n=1, 2, and 3. The round metric is defined as the metric tensor on a sphere and the induced metric is the restriction of the metric for a constant radius. The use of spherical coordinates simplifies the calculation of the induced metric. The general expression can be obtained by using coordinate transformations.
m1rohit

Homework Statement

I want to know the expression for the round metric of an n-sphere of radius r

Homework Equations

I have obtained this for a 3-sphere
dS^{2}=dr^{2}+r^{2}(d\theta_{1}^{2}+sin^{2}\theta_{1}d\theta_{2}^{2}
+sin^{2}\theta_{1}sin^{2}\theta_{2}d\theta_{3}^{2})

The Attempt at a Solution

what will be the general expression for an n -sphere

Physics news on Phys.org
m1rohit said:
I have obtained this for a 3-sphere
[tex]dS^{2}=dr^{2}+r^{2}(d\theta_{1}^{2}+sin^{2}\theta_{1}d\theta_{2}^{2}
+sin^{2}\theta_{1}sin^{2}\theta_{2}d\theta_{3}^{2})[/tex]

Looks good to me except that [itex]dr^2[/itex] shouldn't be part of it since the radial direction is not a direction on the n-sphere :smile:

Examining the results for n=1, 2 and 3 should reveal the pattern for general n...

What is a round metric(in words)? And an induced metric(in words)?
(I don't know the tag for hyperlinks)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_tensor#The_round_metric_on_a_sphere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_metric

The benefit of using spherical coordonates(on ##\Re^n##)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-sphere#Spherical_coordinates

is that the induced metric(on "##S^n##") is just the restriction of the metric for r=cst.
How did you get your answer?
For an arbitrary dimension you can use the coordinate transformations rule for tensors(you know the metric of ##\Re^n## in cartesian coordinate, you know the transformations between them and the spherical coordinates)

1. What is the general expression for calculating the round metric on an N-sphere?

The general expression for calculating the round metric on an N-sphere is given by gij = δij - xixj, where δij is the Kronecker delta (equal to 1 if i=j and 0 otherwise) and xi represents the coordinates on the N-sphere.

2. How is the round metric related to the curvature of an N-sphere?

The round metric is directly related to the curvature of an N-sphere. It is a measure of the intrinsic curvature of the sphere and is used to calculate distances and angles on the surface.

3. Can the round metric be used for any N-sphere, regardless of its radius?

Yes, the general expression for the round metric can be used for any N-sphere, regardless of its radius. The coordinates on the N-sphere will change accordingly, but the metric itself remains the same.

4. How is the round metric different from the flat metric?

The round metric and the flat metric are fundamentally different. The round metric is used to describe the intrinsic curvature of a surface, while the flat metric is used to describe a flat, Euclidean space. The round metric incorporates the curvature of the N-sphere, while the flat metric does not.

5. Can the round metric be generalized to other curved surfaces?

Yes, the round metric can be generalized to other curved surfaces. It is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and can be used to describe the intrinsic curvature of any surface, not just an N-sphere.