1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Physics II help

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attached

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to do some of this, but I'm not even sure where to start. I'm so confused. I don't have the textbook yet neither as it hasn't come in the mail, so I can't reference it. My professor has a very heavy Indian accent and just does straight verbal lectures, so that doesn't help when taking notes.

Can somebody please help me answer these questions? I think if somebody were to show me how to do a couple of these (1, 2, 6, 7) then I can try to figure out the other ones.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick one question and then try to solve it and ask specific questions. Don't throw a whole homework sheet at us and ask for a lecture.

4. Jul 18, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

For qn 1: Use the definition of electric flux. Think about how to maximize the flux given a unidirectional field and a flat surface.

Qn 2: You need to use a particular law here. The set-up is symmetrical enough to apply it. Just think of how to find the parameters given in the statement of the law.

Qn 6: Again, think in terms of the law you have to use for qn 2.

Qn 7: Yet again think about the implications of a charged conductor in electrostatic equilibrium. Also you might want to use the same law for qn 2.

5. Jul 19, 2008 #4
    Like I said, I tried to work on it. I couldn't solve it. I turned it in and got them wrong. I got 1 right, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?