Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: General Physics II help

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attached

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to do some of this, but I'm not even sure where to start. I'm so confused. I don't have the textbook yet neither as it hasn't come in the mail, so I can't reference it. My professor has a very heavy Indian accent and just does straight verbal lectures, so that doesn't help when taking notes.

Can somebody please help me answer these questions? I think if somebody were to show me how to do a couple of these (1, 2, 6, 7) then I can try to figure out the other ones.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick one question and then try to solve it and ask specific questions. Don't throw a whole homework sheet at us and ask for a lecture.

4. Jul 18, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

For qn 1: Use the definition of electric flux. Think about how to maximize the flux given a unidirectional field and a flat surface.

Qn 2: You need to use a particular law here. The set-up is symmetrical enough to apply it. Just think of how to find the parameters given in the statement of the law.

Qn 6: Again, think in terms of the law you have to use for qn 2.

Qn 7: Yet again think about the implications of a charged conductor in electrostatic equilibrium. Also you might want to use the same law for qn 2.

5. Jul 19, 2008 #4
    Like I said, I tried to work on it. I couldn't solve it. I turned it in and got them wrong. I got 1 right, though.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook