• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

General Physics II help

Homework Statement

See attached

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do some of this, but I'm not even sure where to start. I'm so confused. I don't have the textbook yet neither as it hasn't come in the mail, so I can't reference it. My professor has a very heavy Indian accent and just does straight verbal lectures, so that doesn't help when taking notes.

Can somebody please help me answer these questions? I think if somebody were to show me how to do a couple of these (1, 2, 6, 7) then I can try to figure out the other ones.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Pick one question and then try to solve it and ask specific questions. Don't throw a whole homework sheet at us and ask for a lecture.

Defennder
Homework Helper
For qn 1: Use the definition of electric flux. Think about how to maximize the flux given a unidirectional field and a flat surface.

Qn 2: You need to use a particular law here. The set-up is symmetrical enough to apply it. Just think of how to find the parameters given in the statement of the law.

Qn 6: Again, think in terms of the law you have to use for qn 2.

Qn 7: Yet again think about the implications of a charged conductor in electrostatic equilibrium. Also you might want to use the same law for qn 2.

Like I said, I tried to work on it. I couldn't solve it. I turned it in and got them wrong. I got 1 right, though.