Help with this quantum circuit textbook problem about controlled gates

In summary, the individual is struggling with a concept of controlled gates in a quantum mechanics class despite having basic skills and a background in networking. They are looking for assistance and advice on how to approach this topic. A suggested resource is a quantum circuit simulator for practice and verification.
kellys
Summary:: My skills are very very basic and I'm more a networking major but i had to take a quantum mechanics class, i have trouble with this xcercise from textbook quantum mechanics a general introduction

[Mentor Note -- Thread moved from the Technical forums so no Homework Template is shown]

i am still struggling with the concept of controlled gates
1588757959937.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kellys said:
Summary:: My skills are very very basic and I'm more a networking major but i had to take a quantum mechanics class, i have trouble with this xcercise from textbook quantum mechanics a general introduction

[Mentor Note -- Thread moved from the Technical forums so no Homework Template is shown]

i am still struggling with the concept of controlled gates
View attachment 262160
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Per the PF Homework rules, we can only help you if you at least try to start working on the problem. Can you show us similar problems that your textbook explains?

Not sure what your actual question is, but regardless I recommend using a quantum circuit simulator since it can be very helpful for checking your work: https://algassert.com/quirk

1. What is a controlled gate in quantum computing?

A controlled gate is a type of quantum gate that operates on two qubits, where the second qubit's state depends on the state of the first qubit. It is used to perform logical operations on qubits in a quantum circuit.

2. How do you represent a controlled gate in a quantum circuit?

A controlled gate is represented by a box with a control qubit on top and a target qubit on the bottom. The control qubit is usually denoted by a filled circle, while the target qubit is denoted by an empty circle. The gate's operation is only applied to the target qubit if the control qubit is in a specific state.

3. What is the purpose of a controlled gate?

The purpose of a controlled gate is to perform logical operations on qubits in a quantum circuit. It allows for the manipulation of multiple qubits simultaneously, which is essential for efficient quantum computation.

4. How do you apply a controlled gate in a quantum circuit?

To apply a controlled gate in a quantum circuit, the control qubit's state is measured, and the gate's operation is applied to the target qubit based on the measurement result. This process is repeated for each controlled gate in the circuit.

5. What are some examples of controlled gates in quantum computing?

Some examples of controlled gates in quantum computing include the Controlled-NOT (CNOT) gate, the Controlled-Z (CZ) gate, and the Controlled-Hadamard (CH) gate. These gates are used in various quantum algorithms and protocols to manipulate qubits and perform logical operations.