General Relativity question involving Metrics

In summary, the conversation discusses a metric and its properties, including the calculation of the gravitational redshift between two stationary observers at different radial coordinates, the effective potential for radial motion of particles, and the behavior of light cones. There is also some discussion about the difficulty of the homework and questions about the correct solutions.
Auburnman

Homework Statement

(30 points) Consider the metric
ds^2 = -(1 -(r^2/R^2))dt^2 + (1-(r^2/R^2))^-1 dr^2 + (r^2)d(omega)^2

Note that spacetime becomes
at at small r, not large r. r < R.
(a) Calculate the (exact) gravitational redshift (w_2)/(w_1) between two stationary ob-
servers at radial coordinates r1 and r2 and the same angular coordinates.
Discuss interesting limiting cases.

(b) Calculate and sketch the eff ective potentials V (r) for the radial motion of particles,
for the cases of massive and massless particles.
Interpret this e ffective potential: are there stable orbits? Are particles attracted
to r = 0? Can particles reach r = 0?
(c) Draw some light cones. Comparing your plot to that for the Schwartzschild
metric, what appears to be happening at r = R?

Homework Equations

Schwartzchild metric, and the given metric

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first part i got (w2/w1) = [1-(r1^2/R^2)]^.5 / [1-(r2^2/R^2)]^.5 but i don't think this is correct please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same thing for part (a). Number 4 is whack man!

you know how 2 do 4b? because if i get that i can get the rest of problem 4

I have an idea but haven't worked it out. The question just seems so vague that I'm not even sure if I'm on the right track. Is your curve for part (a) asymptotic?

yes, what did u get for the true false questions?

lol who is this?

does that matter?

is there some other median besides this that you would like to talk about the problems or u going to work on it alone?

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravitation developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how the force of gravity is a result of the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How does general relativity explain the bending of light?

General relativity predicts that the presence of massive objects, such as stars or galaxies, can cause a curvature in the fabric of space-time. This curvature can cause light to follow a curved path around the object, resulting in the appearance of bending.

3. What is a metric in general relativity?

In general relativity, a metric is a mathematical object that represents the curvature of space-time. It describes the distance between two points in curved space-time and is used to calculate the effects of gravity on objects.

4. How does general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force between two objects, while general relativity explains it as a result of the curvature of space-time. Additionally, general relativity can explain phenomena that Newton's theory cannot, such as the bending of light and the existence of black holes.

5. How has general relativity been confirmed experimentally?

General relativity has been confirmed through several experiments, including the observation of the bending of starlight during a solar eclipse, the precision measurements of the orbits of planets, and the detection of gravitational waves by the LIGO collaboration. These results have all been consistent with the predictions of general relativity.