General solution to a 2nd order differential

In summary: So in summary, the general solution to a 2nd order differential equation is:f(x,t) = 1/4x2t2 + C(t) + D(x)
EmmaLemming
General solution to a 2nd order differential :(

Homework Statement

What is the general solution of ∂2f(x,t)/∂x∂t = xt ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, I tried to follow an example out of the book but it was quite different to this question.

Do I need to replace x's and y's with u's and v's? If so, how?

Physics news on Phys.org

EmmaLemming said:

Homework Statement

What is the general solution of ∂2f(x,t)/∂x∂t = xt ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, I tried to follow an example out of the book but it was quite different to this question.

Do I need to replace x's and y's with u's and v's? If so, how?

Hi EmmaLemming! :smile:

How about you try to integrate with respect to x, and afterward again with respect tot t?

Ahh is it really that simple? Awesome :) I thought there was more to it than that.

I get, f(x,t) = 1/4(x2t2) + Ct + D = 1

Does that seem reasonable?

Do I need to do anything else?

Thank you for your help :)

Basically that's it, except for your integration constants.
(I like simple. :wink:)

Your integration constants are not just any integration constants.
When you integrate with respect to x, you get an integration constant that can be any function of t.
Same for integrating with respect to t, where you would have to integrate the previous integration constant, and add an integration constant that is a function of x.

Btw, what is that "=1" that you appended?

oh dear..

So do I have to find out what C and D are? ... How?

And I put "= 1" on the RHS because ∂2f(x,t)/∂x∂t = xt

I thought integration of 'xt' wrtx and then t equates to 1..?
Is that incorrect?

I don't get what you mean about the "1". :confused:Anyway, when integrating the first time wrt x, you should get:
∂f(x,t)/∂t = (1/2)x2t + c(t)

I'm writing c(t) to indicate that it is a function of t.
Differentiating wrt x will make any function of t disappear.

Next when you integrate wrt t, you effectively integrate c(t) to just another unknown function C(t).

So you get:
f(x,t) = (1/4)x2t2 + C(t) + D(x)

What is a general solution to a 2nd order differential equation?

A general solution to a 2nd order differential equation is an equation that represents all possible solutions to the given differential equation. It contains all necessary constants and can be used to find specific solutions by assigning values to those constants.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution contains all possible solutions to a differential equation, while a particular solution is a specific solution that can be obtained by assigning values to the constants in the general solution. A particular solution satisfies both the differential equation and any given initial conditions.

How do you find the general solution to a 2nd order differential equation?

To find the general solution, you must first determine the characteristic equation of the differential equation. Then, you can use the roots of the characteristic equation to form the general solution, which will contain two arbitrary constants. These constants can be solved for by using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

What is the role of initial conditions in finding a particular solution?

Initial conditions are specific values given in the problem that can be used to solve for the arbitrary constants in the general solution, resulting in a particular solution. These conditions are usually given in the form of values for the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point.

Can a general solution be used to find specific solutions to different initial conditions?

Yes, a general solution can be used to find specific solutions to any set of initial conditions by assigning appropriate values to the arbitrary constants in the general solution. This allows for a more efficient way of finding solutions to differential equations without having to solve the differential equation for each set of initial conditions separately.