General Statics Question-Frames

In summary, the problem involves solving a statics problem using the equations of summation of forces and moments. The individual segments CD and DE are being solved separately, with different answers being obtained. The question arises about the inclusion of external forces of AC and BD on segment CD. The solution method involves solving for E and then using the moment at A to solve for A. The equilibrium equations for segment CD and DE are also listed.
Yo388

Homework Statement

I have uploaded the problem here as a diagram is included
http://img201.imageshack.us/i/questions.png/

Homework Equations

Summation of forces =0
summation of moment=0
statics problem

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically what I am trying to do is break up the problem and solve for segment CD then solve for segment DE. But I am getting different answers compared to my friends.Im not including any forces at CD when i solve .Is there an external force of AC on CD and Force BD on CD.Please can someone explain. basically when i can solve for E i solve for A using moment at A while taking the whole frame as a whole.

Physics news on Phys.org
My Attempt:For the equilibrium of segment CDX component:FBD cos(90) - FAC cos(90) = 0Y component:FAB sin(90) + FBD sin(90) - FAC sin(60) - FDE sin(30)= 0Moment about AFAB x AB + FBD x BD - FAC x AC - FDE x DE = 0For the Equilibrium of segment DE X component:FAC cos(60) + FDE cos(30) = 0Y component:FAC sin(60) -FDE sin(30) = 0Moment about EFAC x CE - FDE x DE = 0

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It involves analyzing the forces and moments acting on a body to determine its equilibrium and stability.

2. What are the key principles of statics?

The key principles of statics include the concept of forces, equilibrium, and moments. Forces are vectors that represent the push or pull on an object. Equilibrium refers to a state where all forces acting on an object cancel each other out, resulting in no net force or acceleration. Moments are the tendency of forces to cause rotation around a pivot point.

3. How is statics applied in real life?

Statics is applied in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. In engineering, it is used to design structures such as bridges and buildings to ensure they can withstand the forces acting on them. In architecture, statics is important in designing stable and safe structures. In physics, statics is used to analyze the forces acting on objects in space and predict their motion.

4. What are the different types of forces in statics?

There are four types of forces in statics: tension, compression, shear, and bending. Tension is a pulling force, while compression is a pushing force. Shear is a force that acts parallel to the surface of an object, and bending is a combination of tension and compression that causes an object to bend or deform.

5. How is statics related to dynamics?

Statics and dynamics are two branches of mechanics that are closely related. While statics deals with objects at rest or in a state of constant motion, dynamics deals with objects in motion and the forces causing that motion. The principles of statics are used as a foundation for studying more complex systems in dynamics.