General vs Honours degree in the workforce

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's academic struggles and their dilemma between completing their honors physics degree or switching to a regular physics degree with a business minor. They seek advice on the differences between the two degrees in the real world and the limitations in job opportunities. The importance of the distinction between honors and regular degrees in the working world is also questioned, with a focus on skills and qualifications for specific positions.
Webs
Hello, I am currently in my third year of study in the honors bachelor of applied physics program at my university. At the beginning of this semester I was placed on academic warming. I need to get my GPA up in a few key physics courses to solve this problem. I have a few question however. I plan on attaining a job in industry when I finish my degree, so as of now I have two choices.

A: re-take a few core physics classes to boost my GPA and finish my honors applied physics degree
B: switch into a 4 year non-honors physics degree with a business minor and graduate at a lower GPA

I am wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge on this topic and can give me some advice. My passion lies with finishing my honors degree and continuing to a masters in some kind of applied engineering and creating new gadgets. However, time and money also dictate I finish soon enough as I already changed my major from biochem to physics second year.

Basically I'm asking what the difference is between having a honors physics degree or a regular physics degree in the real world? Also I am wondering what my limitations in job outlook will be in either circumstance.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A lot can depend on the details here. In my experience "honours" can mean different things at different schools. In some cases the honours stream is the only one that would really qualify one for graduate study. In other cases, it merely seems like a distinction attached to the degree.

The relevance of any of that to the working world depends a great deal on what you end up doing in the working world. If you really want to get involved in some kind of engineering work, you might want to orient your education towards engineering to the extent that you can. In my experience, outside of academia, people tend not to care too much about the details of your education. The items of first order importance are whether your education qualifies you certain positions and then what skills you have developed through your education that are relevant to the position. The particular courses you took, whether your received honours or not, and even your grades tend to be of higher order relevance.

What is the difference between a General and Honours degree in the workforce?

A General degree is typically a three-year undergraduate degree that provides a broad overview of a subject area, while an Honours degree is a four-year undergraduate degree that offers a more in-depth study of a specific subject.

Is one degree more valuable than the other in the workforce?

The value of a degree in the workforce depends on the industry and the specific job requirements. In some fields, a General degree may be sufficient, while in others, an Honours degree may be preferred. It is important to research the expectations of the industry and job market you are interested in.

Can I still get a job with a General degree?

Yes, a General degree can still qualify you for many entry-level positions in various industries. It is important to highlight your transferrable skills and relevant experience in your job search.

Will I earn a higher salary with an Honours degree?

In some cases, having an Honours degree may lead to a higher starting salary, but it is not a guarantee. Other factors such as job experience and negotiation skills also play a role in determining salary.

Can I upgrade from a General to an Honours degree?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from a General to an Honours degree by completing additional courses or transferring to an Honours program. However, it is important to note that this may require extra time and resources.