1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Generalised momentum

1. Nov 22, 2016 #1
    I have two books that define generalised momentum differently. Either
    ##p_i = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i}##
    or
    ##p_i = \frac{\partial T}{\partial \dot q_i}##.
    Is this since defining generalised momentum only make sense when the potential energy is independent of a coordinate ##q## and hence the above definitions are equal? Or is one of these more general than the other?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2016 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The differentiations should be done with respect to the time derivative of ##q##, not ##q## itself. Is ##T## the kinetic energy? In most simple mechanical systems the potential energy is not dependent on velocity.

4. Nov 22, 2016 #3
    Thanks, missed the dots. Added them now. Yes ##T## is the kinetic energy. Is it possible that the potential energy ##V## depends on ##\dot q##? Is one of these definitions correct in that case?

5. Nov 22, 2016 #4

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there are magnetic fields and electric charges in the system, the potential energy depends on velocities. Then you can't use the definition where you differentiate ##T##.

6. Nov 22, 2016 #5
    Cheers! That was a good example!

7. Nov 23, 2016 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The momentum canonically conjugated to the generalized coordinate ##q^i## is defined by
    $$p_i=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^i},$$
    and nothing else!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted