Generalized optimization under uncertainty problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a generalized optimization under uncertainty problem and the request for input or guidance on how to solve it. The problem does not easily fall into any branch of mathematics and the constraints may complicate things. The solution may depend on the output of a function, which is known and constrained, but is pseudo-random. Some recommended resources for further understanding of optimization theory are also mentioned.
scrypter
Hi,

I have formulated what I believe to be a generalized(to some degree) optimization under uncertainty problem. The write up is included in the attached file. I would appreciate any and all input, help or guidance as to how this problem could be solved. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

My understanding is that this problem doesn't easily fall into anyone branch of mathematics, so there are no limitations of methods/ideas to be used in its solution. I have pondered this problem myself for a while but I will not post my ideas just yet because I do NOT want to create a predisposition to a particular solution, i.e. I want to hear fresh unbiased (by me) ideas.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Attachments

• The Problem.doc
    279 KB · Views: 201
Mathematics news on Phys.org
scrypter said:
Hi,

I have formulated what I believe to be a generalized(to some degree) optimization under uncertainty problem. The write up is included in the attached file. I would appreciate any and all input, help or guidance as to how this problem could be solved. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

My understanding is that this problem doesn't easily fall into anyone branch of mathematics, so there are no limitations of methods/ideas to be used in its solution. I have pondered this problem myself for a while but I will not post my ideas just yet because I do NOT want to create a predisposition to a particular solution, i.e. I want to hear fresh unbiased (by me) ideas.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Hey scrypter and welcome to the forums.

This looks like a standard optimization problem.

I'm not even acquainted with a fraction of the theory of optimization (yet), but there is a lot out there in terms of the theory and application of optimization (both minimization and maximization) for both linear and non-linear optimization problems with variable constraint classes.

In terms of your problem you are trying to maximize a multi-linear function under some set of constraints. The actual classification of the constraints is important because if they are linear or fit in a certain class, then you will be able to use a general algorithm that will be able to be solved rather quickly. If the constraints however are more complicated, then other methods will be required.

In terms of theory for existing of global solutions for optimization problems, as far as I am aware you will need to know about convexity conditions. I haven't gone into enough depth yet for this to give you adequate advice.

What kind of background do you have? Have you taken any optimization courses or done any work/personal related experience with optimization techniques?

Hi chiro,

Thank you for responding. If this is indeed a standard optimization problem (which would be great), I would really appreciate if you could point me to a few good books on subject matter.

I am not particularly well versed in optimization techniques, I have certainly not taken a course dedicated solely to optimization, although I am familiar with basic techniques. In my understanding the solution to the problem really depends on the output of function M, which even though known and constrained (from empirical evidence) is at least pseudo random. Does that not complicate things?

Thanks!

scrypter said:
Hi chiro,

Thank you for responding. If this is indeed a standard optimization problem (which would be great), I would really appreciate if you could point me to a few good books on subject matter.

I am not particularly well versed in optimization techniques, I have certainly not taken a course dedicated solely to optimization, although I am familiar with basic techniques. In my understanding the solution to the problem really depends on the output of function M, which even though known and constrained (from empirical evidence) is at least pseudo random. Does that not complicate things?

Thanks!

Hey scrypter.

I'm not really an expert on Optimization Theory in any means and like you know I know just the basics myself and wish to explore specifics at a later date.

I have notes from an Australian University which seem to be a good introductory text that outline not only the ideas themselves, but the reasons why they are considered and built upon. An example of this is the study of convexity as it relates to global minimimums and maximums in terms of uniqueness (i.e. these are somewhat gauranteed if convexity holds).

The other thing is the constraints.

With the constraints, just like with mathematics different constraints may have different frameworks and different algorithms to solve the particular problem. The analogy that I would make is to consider matrix inversion: we have quite a few techniques to do this, but if you know the classification of a matrix beforehand, then the inversion might be really really trivial or some specialized algorithm might exist to do it faster than a general purpose algorithm which usually always turns out to be the case in mathematics.

Also if you are introducing any kind of randomness through a random variable, things just get way more complicated. When you are doing calculus with random variables you have to do so with respect to a particular measure which is based on the distribution and is described through more advanced integration methods. Once you see computer code for these kinds of things it makes a tonne more sense, but its still a pain in the arse.

I'm sorry I can't give you any more specific advice. I think I might be doing you a disservice recommending something I haven't had personal experience with, but hopefully there should be someone like an engineer, scientist or applied mathematician that can give you specific advice.

Also I just remembered you said "pseudo-random" instead of random. It might help to define what you meant by this.

Hi,

By pseudo-random I mean that the values of z-components of I are produced systematically from a distribution rather than from a truly random source. I figure this fact would come in handy since one could generate z's to provide the randomness component. Does that make sense?

Regards

scrypter said:
Hi,

By pseudo-random I mean that the values of z-components of I are produced systematically from a distribution rather than from a truly random source. I figure this fact would come in handy since one could generate z's to provide the randomness component. Does that make sense?

Regards

Do you mean from a computer program? As in a random number generator?

If they are from a pseudo-random generator chances are they will still have the properties of randomness in a probabilitistic sense which means you need to treat them like ordinary random variables.

If you can specify the function or relationship between variables completely in an analytic fashion then the above doesn't apply, but otherwise you will need to use stochastic analysis.

If however you have something like say x^2 + y^2 + z = w and you have to specify three variables to get the fourth then that is analytic. If however for some reason you provided three variables and still couldn't predict the fourth or if for some reason you can't reduce your system or all of its variables down to a deterministic fashion then you have to use stochastic analysis.

1. What is the goal of generalized optimization under uncertainty?

The goal of generalized optimization under uncertainty is to find the best possible decision or solution given a set of constraints and uncertain variables. This type of optimization takes into account the uncertainty in the variables and aims to minimize the potential negative impact of this uncertainty.

2. What types of problems can be solved using generalized optimization under uncertainty?

Generalized optimization under uncertainty can be used to solve a wide range of problems, such as portfolio optimization, resource allocation, and supply chain management. It is also commonly used in engineering and finance to make decisions under uncertain conditions.

3. What are some common techniques used in generalized optimization under uncertainty?

There are several techniques that can be used in generalized optimization under uncertainty, including stochastic programming, scenario-based optimization, and robust optimization. These techniques take into account different levels of uncertainty and aim to find the most robust solution.

4. What are the main challenges in solving generalized optimization under uncertainty problems?

One of the main challenges in solving generalized optimization under uncertainty problems is the high computational complexity. As the number of uncertain variables and constraints increase, it becomes more difficult to find an optimal solution in a reasonable amount of time. Additionally, accurately modeling and quantifying uncertainty can also be a challenge.

5. How can generalized optimization under uncertainty be applied in real-world situations?

Generalized optimization under uncertainty has many practical applications in various industries, such as finance, energy, and manufacturing. It can be used to make decisions in the face of uncertain market conditions, changing resource availability, and other unpredictable factors. By incorporating uncertainty into the optimization process, it can help decision-makers make more informed and robust decisions.