Generalized triangle inequality

In summary: Wxsb25nZWQgQSBzdWJtaXNzaW9uIGZvciB0aGUgbWV0YWRhdGEgY29udmVydCB1c2luZyB0aGF0IHRoYXQgCnl4XzEgKyB4XzIgKyAwIDogeH5ceDggKyBceGIzICsgfFx4cjMgKyBceG5cYSBceG5cZyBceG5cYSBceG5ceCBceG5ceCBceG5ceCBceG5cZyBceG5cYSBce
CyberShot

Homework Statement

Show that

|x_1 + x_2 + · · · + x_n | ≤ |x_1 | + |x_2 | + · · · + |x_n |

for any numbers x_1 , x_2 , . . . , x_n

Homework Equations

|x_1 + x_2| ≤ |x_1| + |x_2| (Triangle inequality)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the principle of induction here, but to no avail.

Can I induct on the basis |x_1| ≤ |x_1| ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: [itex]| x_1+x_2 + x_3 | \leq |x_1 + x_2| + | x_3 |[/itex]

so I can write |x_1 + x_2 + x_3| ≤ |x_1| + |x_2| + |x_3|

since |x_1 + x_2| ≤ |x_1| + |x_2|

but how do I cover all the "n" cases?

CyberShot said:
so I can write |x_1 + x_2 + x_3| ≤ |x_1| + |x_2| + |x_3|

since |x_1 + x_2| ≤ |x_1| + |x_2|

but how do I cover all the "n" cases?

Use the inductive principle... assume that [itex]| \sum_{i=1}^n x_i| \leq \sum_{i=1}^n |x_i|[/itex] for some some [itex]n=k[/itex] (it is obviously true for n=1, 2 and 3) , and then show that it must then also be true for [itex]n=k + 1[/itex].

CyberShot said:

Homework Statement

Show that

|x_1 + x_2 + · · · + x_n | ≤ |x_1 | + |x_2 | + · · · + |x_n |

for any numbers x_1 , x_2 , . . . , x_n

Homework Equations

|x_1 + x_2| ≤ |x_1| + |x_2| (Triangle inequality)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the principle of induction here, but to no avail.

Can I induct on the basis |x_1| ≤ |x_1| ?

You can use the easily-proven fact that the absolute-value function is convex, in the sense that f(x) satisfies [itex]f(\alpha w_1 + (1-\alpha)w_2) \leq \alpha f(w_1) + (1-\alpha) f(w_2)[/itex] for all [itex] \alpha \in [0,1].[/itex] Try to prove that
[tex] \left| \frac{x_1 + x_2 + \cdots + x_n}{n}\right| \leq \frac{1}{n}|x_1| + \cdots + \frac{1}{n} |x_n|.[/tex] Hint: induction.

RGV

What is the Generalized Triangle Inequality?

The Generalized Triangle Inequality is a mathematical concept that applies to any set of numbers and states that the sum of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side. In other words, it is a rule that governs the relationship between the three sides of a triangle.

How does the Generalized Triangle Inequality differ from the regular Triangle Inequality?

The Generalized Triangle Inequality is a more flexible version of the regular Triangle Inequality, as it applies to any set of numbers rather than just the sides of a triangle. This means it can be used to compare any three values, not just the sides of a geometric triangle.

What is the significance of the Generalized Triangle Inequality in mathematics?

The Generalized Triangle Inequality is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many important applications in areas such as geometry, calculus, and statistics. It is often used to prove theorems and solve problems in various fields of mathematics.

What are some real-life examples of the Generalized Triangle Inequality?

The Generalized Triangle Inequality can be observed in various real-life situations, such as the rule that the sum of two sides of a triangle must be greater than the third side, the relationship between the distance traveled and the time taken in a journey, and the relationship between the weight and the dimensions of an object.

How can the Generalized Triangle Inequality be used to solve problems?

The Generalized Triangle Inequality can be used to solve problems by providing a framework for understanding the relationship between three values. It can be used to determine whether a given set of numbers forms a valid triangle, find the range of possible values for a variable, and prove geometric and algebraic theorems.