1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generalized Velocity: Lagrangian

1. Dec 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 9.58.27 PM.png

In this example, I know that I can define the horizontal contribution of kinetic energy to the ball as ##\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x} + \dot{X})^2##.

In the following example,
    Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 9.58.16 PM.png

Mass ##M_{x1}##'s horizontal contribution to KE is defined as ##\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{X} - \dot{x_1})^2##. Why is this? I have a hunch that it is due to the "origin" (##X## line) ##x_1## and ##x_2## originate from, though I can't exactly put my finger on the exact reason.

Assistance is greatly appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It has to do with the way the generalized coordinates are defined. In the top drawing ##\dot{x}## increases to the right (although not clear from the double arrow) so the velocity relative to the ground is ##\dot{X}+\dot{x}##. In the second drawing, ##x_1## increases to the left while ##X## increases to the right, so the relative velocity would be ##\dot{X}-\dot{x_1}##.

4. Dec 4, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the response,

Would I be right to say that this is also the result of vector addition? Edit: With ##x_1## being defined as positive vector

5. Dec 4, 2017 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could say that considering that it involves defining cartesian coordinates relative to origin ##O_1## and then adding a cartesian coordinate to define origin ##O_1## relative to new origin ##O_2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted