Find OGF for Recurrence: a_n = 6a_{n-1} + a_{n-2}, a_0=2, a_1=1

In summary: CB0aGUgT0dGIGZvciB0aGUgcmVjb3JkZW5jZSBhbmQgbGlzdCBjb250ZW50LiA6c21pbGU6ICBMZXRBIHwgc3RvcCB0aGUgYWxsIEEgPSAyLCBhXzI9MSwgYV8xPT0yKQp0aGVuIHlvdSBnaXZlIGZvciB0aGUgYWxsZW5nZXIgaW4gYmVmb3JlIHRoZSBwcm9ibGVtLgoKTm93LCB5b
Punkyc7
Find the OGF for the recurrence

a[itex]_{n}[/itex]= 6 * a[itex]_{n-1}[/itex]+ a[itex]_{n-2}[/itex] a[itex]_{0}[/itex]=2, a[itex]_{1}[/itex]=1
So here is what I did

I said let A = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]_{2>=n} [/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex]x[itex]^{n}[/itex]then I got

A = 6x (A+x) + x[itex]^{2}[/itex](A +x+2)

which gets me

A= [itex]\frac{6x^2+x^{3} +2x}{1-6x - x^2}[/itex]
ButI should get [itex]\frac{2-x}{1-6x - x^2}[/itex]Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Punkyc7 said:

a[itex]_{n}[/itex]= 6 * a[itex]_{n-1}[/itex]+ a[itex]_{n-2}[/itex] a[itex]_{0}[/itex]=2, a[itex]_{1}[/itex]=1

So here is what I did

I said let A = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]_{2>=n} [/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex]x[itex]^{n}[/itex]

then I got

A = 6x (A+x) + x[itex]^{2}[/itex](A +x+2)  = A(6x) + 6x2 + A(x2) + x3 +2x2
This gets you a different A.
which gets me

ButI should get [itex]\frac{2-x}{1-6x - x^2}[/itex]

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ?

Congrats on your 400th post ! :smile:

Thank you on the congratulations. But I do not see how that get me a different A. Did I define what A is right. Usually the generating function start at zero but with this problem that gives you bad subscripts.

Punkyc7 said:

So here is what I did

I said let A = [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]_{2>=n} [/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex]x[itex]^{n}[/itex]

then I got

A = 6x (A+x) + x[itex]^{2}[/itex](A +x+2)

which gets me

ButI should get [itex]\frac{2-x}{1-6x - x^2}[/itex]

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ?

I usually find it safer, to write things out a bit more:
[tex] A = a_2 x^2 + a_3 x^3 + a_4 x^4 + \cdots = (6a_1 + a_0)x^2
+ (6a_2 + a_1)x^3 + (6a_3 + a_2)x^4 + \cdots\\
= (6+2)x^2 + x^3 + 6x A + x^2 A = x^3 + 8x^2 + (x^2 + 6x)A.[/tex]
This will give you a different A from what you obtained.

Besides that difference, maybe the answer was for a GF starting at a_0*x^0, or at a_1*x^1. However, I checked that, and could not get the posted answer for any three variants of the problem. Just to be sure, I used Maple to get a solution, and got an answer in agreement with a_0 + a_1 x + A. Here is the Maple command, but I won't give the output, since that would deprive you of the fun of getting it yourself.
> rsolve({a(n)=6*a(n-1)+a(n-2),a(1)=1,a(0)=2},a,'genfunc'(x));

RGV

1. What is the mathematical formula for finding the OGF (Ordinary Generating Function) for recurrence relation a_n = 6a_{n-1} + a_{n-2}?

The formula for finding the OGF for this recurrence relation is F(x) = (a_0 + a_1x) / (1-6x-x^2). This can be derived using the properties of generating functions and solving for F(x) by expressing a_n in terms of a_{n-1} and a_{n-2}.

2. What are the initial conditions for this recurrence relation?

The initial conditions for this recurrence relation are a_0=2 and a_1=1.

3. How can the OGF for recurrence relation a_n = 6a_{n-1} + a_{n-2} be used to find the closed form expression for a_n?

The OGF can be expanded using partial fractions and inverse binomial theorem to find the closed form expression for a_n. It can be used to find the coefficients of the terms in the closed form expression.

4. Can the OGF for recurrence relation a_n = 6a_{n-1} + a_{n-2} be used to find the values of a_n for any value of n?

Yes, the OGF can be used to find the values of a_n for any value of n as long as n is a non-negative integer. However, for larger values of n, the calculations may become complex or time-consuming.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the values of a_n for recurrence relation a_n = 6a_{n-1} + a_{n-2}?

Yes, there are other methods such as using characteristic equations, generating functions, and solving the recurrence relation directly using recursion. These methods may be more suitable for finding the values of a_n for specific values of n or for simpler recurrence relations.