Generating the function from given coordinates and slopes

In summary, the person is asking for suggestions on how to generate a function from a given graph. They mention being able to extract coordinates and slopes, but are unsure if they need to use software to generate polynomial functions. They also inquire about any useful software for this purpose. Additionally, they mention having a curve that is slightly deviating from a straight line and are looking for a more accurate function. They ask if there is a manual mathematical process or if software can be recommended for this task, with Excel being mentioned as a possible option.
cooper607
hi fellas, i have been given a graph from which i can extract the coordinates and the slopes but all i need is to generate the function this graph represents. can you suggest me any manual procedure to do this mathematically or do i have to use software to generate polynomial functions?
if there is any useful software to generate functions from co ordinates please let me know

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you have any ideas, suspicions etc as to what sort of function it is - polynomial, trigonometric, exponential...
Without that one could work out a function that fits the values and slopes but it wouldn't necessarily produce correct values for other points.

i got the curve to be sort of a straight line. I might have worked out with it to get a y=mx curve, but i m looking for a more accurate function because my straight line is slightly deviating from its path, not exponential though..actually i need to know if there is any mathematical manual process to get the accurate function or if you can suggest me a software which does it?

Excel has a curve fitting function.

There are several methods for generating a function from given coordinates and slopes. One way to approach this mathematically is to use the slope-intercept form of a linear equation, y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. Using the coordinates and slopes given, you can plug in the values for x, y, and m to solve for b and then write the function in the form y = mx + b.

For more complex functions, such as polynomials, it may be more efficient to use software or online tools. There are many options available, such as WolframAlpha or Desmos, which can generate a function based on given coordinates and slopes. These tools also allow you to adjust the degree of the polynomial and see the resulting graph, which can be helpful in determining the accuracy of the function.

It is always important to double check the resulting function to ensure it accurately represents the given graph. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a math expert or tutor to confirm the accuracy of the generated function.

What is the process for generating a function from given coordinates and slopes?

The process for generating a function from given coordinates and slopes involves using the slope-intercept form of a linear equation, y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. We can plug in the given coordinates to solve for m and b, and then plug those values into the equation to create the function.

How do you determine the slope from a set of coordinates?

To determine the slope from a set of coordinates, we use the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the given coordinates. This gives us the change in y over the change in x, or the slope of the line passing through the two points.

What is the significance of the y-intercept in a linear function?

The y-intercept in a linear function represents the value of y when x is equal to 0. It is the point where the line crosses the y-axis. In the slope-intercept form, the y-intercept is represented by the term b, and it helps determine the starting point of the line on the y-axis.

Can a function be generated from a set of coordinates and slopes that do not form a straight line?

No, a function can only be generated from a set of coordinates and slopes that form a straight line. If the given coordinates and slopes do not form a straight line, then it is not possible to accurately determine a function that represents the data.

How can we use a generated function to predict future values?

A generated function can be used to predict future values by plugging in the desired x-value into the equation and solving for y. This will give us the predicted y-value at that x-coordinate. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of these predictions may vary depending on the data and assumptions used to generate the function.