Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generating the function from given coordinates and slopes

1. Jun 24, 2014 #1
    hi fellas, i have been given a graph from which i can extract the coordinates and the slopes but all i need is to generate the function this graph represents. can you suggest me any manual procedure to do this mathematically or do i have to use software to generate polynomial functions?
    if there is any useful software to generate functions from co ordinates please let me know

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2014 #2
    Do you have any ideas, suspicions etc as to what sort of function it is - polynomial, trigonometric, exponential...
    Without that one could work out a function that fits the values and slopes but it wouldn't necessarily produce correct values for other points.

4. Jun 24, 2014 #3
    i got the curve to be sort of a straight line. I might have worked out with it to get a y=mx curve, but i m looking for a more accurate function because my straight line is slightly deviating from its path, not exponential though..actually i need to know if there is any mathematical manual process to get the accurate function or if you can suggest me a software which does it?

5. Jun 24, 2014 #4
    Excel has a curve fitting function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook