Calculating Speed on Earth's Equator and at Specific Latitude: A Physics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a physics book about the Earth's radius and the speed of a point on the equator. The answer in the book is provided and the conversation then goes on to explain how to calculate the speed using the circumference and time. The second part of the question involves finding the radius of a circle passing through all latitude 34 points, including Beirut, and using this to calculate the speed. The conversation concludes by stating that solving this problem does not require a physics genius.
Nocturn888
Genius in physics wanted!

I have this question that i tried to solve for ages now and i still can't figure it out, in other word help would be very much appreciated. :confused:

QUESTION: The Earth's radius is 6400km. How fast is a point on the equator moving? What is the speed of Beirut at latitude 34º?

The answer in the back of my book says i.) 465.4 m/s, ii.)385.6 m/s.

The question is from the book on advanced physics from Steve Adams and Jonathan Allday (topic 3.1 q.5)

Thank you very much,to who ever it is,that can help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that the Earth is a perfect sphere

You know the radius of the sphere. Now what is the circumference of the equator, given that it is a circle whose radius is given in the problem? You know how much time it takes for a point in the equator to get back to the same position. It is one day. So the speed of the equator point is the circumference divided by this time.

Coming to the second part, what is the radius of a circle that passes through all latitude 34 points in the Earth's surface, including Beirut. Once you calculate this radius by drawing it on paper and using some basic trigonometry , repeat the above method using this radius.

Hope I haven't confused you further. Good luck.

As you will realize, it does not require a physics genius to solve this problem.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Related to Calculating Speed on Earth's Equator and at Specific Latitude: A Physics Problem

1. What qualifications are necessary to be considered a genius in physics?

To be considered a genius in physics, one typically needs to have a deep understanding of the fundamental principles and theories of physics, as well as the ability to apply them in innovative and groundbreaking ways. This often requires advanced education in physics, such as a PhD, and a strong track record of research and publications in the field.

2. Can anyone become a genius in physics, or is it something you are born with?

While some individuals may have a natural aptitude for physics, becoming a genius in the field usually requires a combination of innate abilities, such as strong analytical skills and a curious mind, as well as hard work and dedication. With the right education, training, and determination, anyone can potentially achieve a high level of expertise in physics.

3. Are there different types of genius in physics?

Yes, there are different types of genius in physics, as the field encompasses a broad range of sub-disciplines and specializations. For example, some individuals may excel in theoretical physics, while others may have a knack for experimental physics. Additionally, there are geniuses in specific areas of physics, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, or particle physics.

4. Is there a correlation between IQ and genius in physics?

While intelligence is certainly a crucial component of being a genius in physics, there is no clear correlation between IQ and genius in the field. Many factors, such as creativity, perseverance, and a deep passion for the subject, also play a significant role in achieving greatness in physics.

5. How can one continue to develop their genius in physics?

Continued education, research, and collaboration with other experts in the field are essential for further developing one's genius in physics. Staying up-to-date on current advancements and breakthroughs, as well as constantly challenging oneself with new and complex problems, can also help to foster continued growth and innovation in the field.