Geodesic equation in Minkowski space clarification

The effect of gravity is a result of the curvature of spacetime, not an external force. In summary, the geodesic equation describes the motion of objects in a weightless state, regardless of frames of reference. It is not related to the concept of forces, as gravity in relativity is not considered a force but rather a result of spacetime curvature. This is relevant in both Minkowski space and general relativity.
sqljunkey
Hi,
So the geodesic equation is saying in my frame of reference I may see acceleration and then in your frame of reference you may see gravity? So by just changing coordinates you can create a "force" ?

And also is this relevant to the Minkowski space or do I need to be in GR to be able to get this interchange of acceleration and force?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sqljunkey said:
So the geodesic equation is saying in my frame of reference I may see acceleration and then in your frame of reference you may see gravity?

No. The geodesic equation tells you what worldlines are freely falling, i.e., weightless. That has nothing to do with frames of reference.

You might be confusing the geodesic equation with the equivalence principle.

sqljunkey said:
So by just changing coordinates you can create a "force" ?

No, because in relativity gravity is not a force. Objects moving solely under gravity are in free fall, and in relativity free fall means zero force.

1. What is the geodesic equation in Minkowski space?

The geodesic equation in Minkowski space is a mathematical expression that describes the path of a free particle in the absence of external forces. It takes into account the curvature of spacetime and can be used to predict the trajectory of a particle in a given gravitational field.

2. How is the geodesic equation different in Minkowski space compared to general relativity?

In general relativity, the geodesic equation takes into account the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. In Minkowski space, which is a flat spacetime without any massive objects, the geodesic equation simplifies to a more straightforward form.

3. What is the significance of the Minkowski metric in the geodesic equation?

The Minkowski metric is a mathematical representation of the flat spacetime in Minkowski space. It is used in the geodesic equation to calculate the geodesic path of a particle by taking into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

4. Can the geodesic equation be applied to objects other than particles?

Yes, the geodesic equation can be applied to any object that follows a geodesic path in spacetime. This includes not only particles but also light, which is affected by the curvature of spacetime.

5. How does the geodesic equation relate to the principle of least action?

The geodesic equation can be derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a particle between two points in spacetime is the one that minimizes the action (a measure of the energy required to move the particle along that path). This principle is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is also applied in general relativity.