Geometric Reasoning: Find Angle ABC in Rhombus ABDF

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
In summary: In the rhombus ABDF, AB = BD = DF = FAIn a parallelogram opposite = equal, adjacent = not equalYou have chosen AB and BD to be the adjacent sides, and Angle ABC is then equal to the sum of the other two angles in the isosceles triangle formed by these two sides. Those angles are 45 degrees each.
Natasha1

Homework Statement

As shown in the diagram (attached), ABDF is a rhombus, ACE is an equilateral triangle, and AB  AC . Find ABC through geometric reasoning (a scale diagram will gain no credit).

2. See drawing (picture attached)
Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 21.36.19.png

The Attempt at a Solution

If I make angle ABC = x then BCA is also = x (as triangle ABC is isosceles) so I got x + x + 180 - 2x = 180

angles ACE = CEA = EAC = 60 degrees (Equilateral triangle)

Must I use alternate angles to help me solve this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find some way to use that ABDF is a rhombus, not just a parallelogram.

if BCA = x then CAF = x (alternate angles)

CAE = 60 but what is EAF = ?

Natasha1 said:
if BCA = x then CAF = x (alternate angles)

CAE = 60 but what is EAF = ?
What has that to do with my hint? What is the difference between a rhombus and a general parallelogram?

sides are equal

how does that help me?

Is BC a 1/3 of BD?

Natasha1 said:
how does that help me?
Maybe more isosceles triangles?

So we have ABC = BDF = DFA = x

Natasha1 said:
So we have ABC = BDF = DFA = x
No, BDF is not equal to the other two.
You need to use that it is a rhombus, not just a parallelogram. Find two sides that are equal in the rhombus but might not be in a parallelogram.

So ABC = DFA = x

in each triangle we get x + x + 180 - 2x = 180 (but then this is obvious)

Natasha1 said:
So ABC = DFA = x

in each triangle we get x + x + 180 - 2x = 180 (but then this is obvious)
I repeat:
haruspex said:
Find two sides that are equal in the rhombus but might not be in a parallelogram.

In quadrilateral CEFA we have 60+x+x+180-2x+60+60=360 but then 360 = 360 leads nowhere

all 4 sides are equal in a rhombus

Natasha1 said:
all 4 sides are equal in a rhombus
Yes, but some are also equal in a parallelogram. I repeat
haruspex said:
Find two sides that are equal in the rhombus but might not be in a parallelogram.

i give up

Natasha1 said:
i give up
As you said, all four sides are equal in a rhombus. That is not true of a parallelogram. In a parallelogram, which sides must be equal? Which sides need not be equal? Answer in terms of 'adjacent' and 'opposite'.

Opposite

Natasha1 said:
Opposite
Which question is that the answer to? I asked which must be equal and which need not be equal. The answers are different, obviously.

As you said, all four sides are equal in a rhombus. That is not true of a parallelogram. In a parallelogram, which sides must be equal? Which sides need not be equal? Answer in terms of 'adjacent' and 'opposite'.

In the rhombus ABDF, AB = BD = DF = FA
In a parallelogram opposite = equal, adjacent = not equal

is x = 30 degrees? (a guess)

How can knowing that triangles ABC and AFE are isosceles and similar help me in finding angle ABC?

Natasha1 said:

In the rhombus ABDF, AB = BD = DF = FA
In a parallelogram opposite = equal, adjacent = not equal
Right, so pick some pair of adjacent sides.. AB and BD say. You know these are equal. What isosceles triangle does that give you?

similar isosceles triangles

Natasha1 said:
similar isosceles triangles
I mean with reference to the points in the diagram. Choose two adjacent sides of the rhombus and say which you have chosen. You know they are equal length, so they form two sides of an isosceles triangle. Which triangle? What angles are therefore equal?

What is a rhombus?

A rhombus is a type of quadrilateral with four equal sides and opposite angles that are congruent. It is also known as a diamond shape.

What are the properties of a rhombus?

A rhombus has four equal sides, opposite angles that are congruent, diagonals that bisect each other at right angles, and two pairs of parallel sides.

How do you find the measure of angle ABC in a rhombus?

In a rhombus, all angles are equal, so to find the measure of angle ABC, you can divide the total angle measure of 360 degrees by the number of angles (4). Therefore, angle ABC measures 90 degrees.

Can you find angle ABC in a rhombus if you only know the length of one side?

Yes, since all angles in a rhombus are equal, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve for angle ABC. If the length of one side is known, you can use this to find the length of the diagonal, and then use inverse trigonometric functions to find the measure of angle ABC.

How is geometric reasoning important in finding angle ABC in a rhombus?

Geometric reasoning involves using logical deductions and relationships between shapes and their properties to solve problems. In this case, knowing the properties of a rhombus and the relationships between its angles allows us to use geometric reasoning to find the measure of angle ABC.