Geometric Series with probability

In summary, using the formula for the sum of geometric series, it can be shown that the values of p(n) sum to 1, with the help of the formula \sum_{i=0}^{\infty}x^i=\frac{1}{1-x} for |x|<1. By substituting r=1-alpha, the sum becomes \alpha \frac{1}{1-(1-\alpha)} = \frac{\alpha}{0 + \alpha}, which simplifies to 1.
needhelp83
Using the formula for the sum of geometric series, show that the values of p(n) sum to 1

p(n)=[tex](1 - \alpha)^n \alpha[/tex]

My attempt:
[tex]
\alpha
\sum^\infty_{{\bf n=0}}
(1- \alpha)^n
[/tex]

I am not sure where to go from here. Any help to show this is true!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}x^i=\frac{1}{1-x}[/tex] valid for [tex]|x|<1[/tex] ?

Apply it and you are almost done.

What's the sum of the geometric series r^n? Now just put r=1-alpha.

[tex]
\alpha \sum_{i=0}^{\infty}x^i=\frac{1}{1-(1-\alpha)} -1 = \frac{(1-\alpha)}{1-(1- \alpha)}
[/tex]

I think I got it. Does this look right.

Not really. Can you fix it? Sum 0 to infinity of r^n is 1/(1-r) for |r|<1 as I recall.

[tex]
\alpha \frac{1}{1-(1-\alpha)} = \frac{\alpha}{0 + \alpha}

[/tex]

And alpha/alpha=?

1. Thanks everybody for the help on this one.

What is a geometric series with probability?

A geometric series with probability refers to a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. This type of series is often used in probability and statistics to calculate the likelihood of a certain event occurring.

How do you calculate the sum of a geometric series with probability?

The sum of a geometric series with probability can be calculated using the formula S = a / (1 - r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. This formula only works if the absolute value of r is less than 1.

What is the relationship between geometric series and probability distributions?

Geometric series with probability are closely related to geometric probability distributions. This is because the terms in a geometric series can represent the probabilities of a specific outcome in a sequence of independent events. The sum of these probabilities will always equal to 1, making it a valid probability distribution.

What is the significance of geometric series with probability in real-life situations?

Geometric series with probability can be used to model various real-life situations, such as the probability of flipping a coin and getting heads multiple times in a row, or the likelihood of drawing a certain card from a deck after multiple attempts. These series can also be used to analyze the risk and potential outcomes of various scenarios.

How does the common ratio affect the convergence of a geometric series with probability?

The common ratio is a crucial factor in determining whether a geometric series with probability will converge or diverge. If the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1, the series will converge and approach a finite value. However, if the absolute value is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge and approach infinity.