Geom Series: Converge Radius 1, c Complex Num

In summary, a geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is multiplied by a constant ratio to get the next term. The converge radius 1 in a geometric series refers to the value of 'r' that causes the series to converge, or approach a finite limit, when the absolute value of 'r' is less than 1. A complex number in a geometric series is a number that contains both a real and imaginary part, and the common ratio can also be a complex number. The converge radius 1 is calculated using the Ratio Test, and it is significant because it determines whether a geometric series will converge or diverge.
spacediablo
how can I write f(z)= 1/(c(1+z)) as a geometric series with radius of convergence 1, where c is a complex number?

Physics news on Phys.org
this is the one series most people know.

hint: 1/(1-z) = 1 + z + z^2 + z^3+...

if you learn this, you are a master of infinites eries. i.e. there is nothing else to know.

thanks i see it now

What is a Geometric Series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is multiplied by a constant ratio to get the next term. It follows the form of a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ..., where 'a' is the first term and 'r' is the common ratio.

What is Converge Radius 1 in a Geometric Series?

The converge radius 1 in a geometric series refers to the value of 'r' that causes the series to converge, or approach a finite limit, when the absolute value of 'r' is less than 1. This means that the series will approach a specific value as the number of terms increases, rather than diverging to infinity.

What is a Complex Number in a Geometric Series?

A complex number in a geometric series is a number that contains both a real and imaginary part. It is represented in the form of a + bi, where 'a' is the real part and 'bi' is the imaginary part (with 'i' being the square root of -1). In a geometric series, the common ratio can also be a complex number.

How is Converge Radius 1 Calculated?

The converge radius 1 is calculated using the Ratio Test, which states that if the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term is less than 1, then the series converges. In a geometric series, this means that the absolute value of the common ratio 'r' must be less than 1 for the series to converge.

What is the Significance of Converge Radius 1 in a Geometric Series?

The converge radius 1 is significant because it determines whether a geometric series will converge or diverge. If the absolute value of 'r' is less than 1, the series will approach a finite limit. If the absolute value of 'r' is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge to infinity. This information is important in understanding the behavior and properties of a geometric series.