What are some hints for solving Geometrical Optics problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses two optics questions. The first question involves a concave mirror and an object and screen that are moved to produce a larger image. The second question involves a glass hemisphere with a silvered surface and a small air bubble that produces two images. The conversation also briefly mentions another problem involving determining the refractive index of a transparent glass plate using a microscope.
Perses
I'm having some trouble with a couple of Optics questions, any hints would be much appreciated!

THe first quetion states that a concave mirror forms an image on a screen twice as large as the object. The object and the screen are then moved such that the new image produced is 3x's the size of the object. THe screen was moved 75cm, how far was the object moved and what is the focal length of the mirror?

I'm afraid I'm not sure what to do; I thought i could somehow use the magnification formula (m=-s'/s) and compare the two different scenarios but i couldn't seem to isolate for only the object distance travelled.

The second question states that a glass hemisphere is silvered over it's curved surface. A small air bubble in the glass is located on the central axis through the hemisphere 5cm away from the plane surface. The radius of curvature of the spherical surface is 7.5cm, and the glass has an index of 1.5. Looking along the axis into the plane surface, one sees two images of the bubble. How do they arise and where do they appear?

I'm fairly certain as to how they appear. The first is formed directly from a ray that is refracted by the plane surface. The next is formed when a ray is reflected off of the inner front surface of the plane mirror and then reflected off of the rear surface of the mirror and finally refracted out into the air.
However, I'm not quite sure how to find there heights. Any help on where to begin would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time guys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the image must be IN FOCUS,
as well as being the right magnification
(that's why they had to move object AND screen)

The second bubble image will be formed by the light
that goes first to the curved mirror surface, being
reflected to pass through the glass
and refract at the plane surface. [ignore reflection at plane]

the first bubble image will appear closer to the flat (by 1/n);
the second WOULD've formed at 1/d_im = 1/f - 1/d_ob
except that it runs out of glass halfway to that 15cm.
So Snell refracts the actual focus (small angle approx)
to only 2/3 of the 7.5 cm distance in air.

Thnx alot
I'm having a bit of trouble with another problem

To determine the refractive index of a transparent plate of glass, a microscope is first focused on a tiny scratch in the upper surface, and the barrel position is recoreded. Upon further lowering the microscope barrel by 1.87mm, a focused image of the scratch is seen again. The plate thickness is 1.50mm. What is the refractive index of the glass?

I believe the light rays reflect off of the back surface of the plane and are then reflected back and refracted, this is how the 2nd image is produced. However, i cannot seem to figure out the refractive index. Can anyone lend me a hand?

What is Geometrical Optics?

Geometrical Optics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of light as it behaves in a straight line, through different media, and at boundaries between different materials.

What are some common examples of Geometrical Optics problems?

Some common examples of Geometrical Optics problems include the study of reflection and refraction of light, the formation of images by lenses and mirrors, and the use of optical instruments such as microscopes and telescopes.

What is Snell's Law and how is it used in Geometrical Optics?

Snell's Law is a fundamental principle in Geometrical Optics that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction of a light ray at a boundary between two materials. It is used to calculate the direction and intensity of light as it passes through different media.

What are the two types of lenses used in Geometrical Optics?

The two types of lenses used in Geometrical Optics are convex lenses and concave lenses. Convex lenses converge parallel rays of light and are thicker in the middle, while concave lenses diverge parallel rays of light and are thinner in the middle.

How is Geometrical Optics applied in real-world situations?

Geometrical Optics is applied in a variety of real-world situations, such as the design of eyeglasses and contact lenses, the development of optical instruments for medical and scientific purposes, and the creation of special effects in movies and photography.