Finding Focus Points of Parabolas in Conic Sections

In summary: That was really helpful. In summary, I am having an issue with solving a homework equation. I am confused on how to put this problem in terms of x & y and get numerical values for both x & y. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
skybox
Hi all,

I am having an issue with the following problem. I just don't know how to approach it.

Homework Statement

kxL7ZEC.png

Homework Equations

Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

CM3YpiC.png

WF5z5Ay.png

I am confused on how to put this problem in terms of x & y and get numerical values for both x & y. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
skybox said:
Hi all,

I am having an issue with the following problem. I just don't know how to approach it.

Homework Statement

kxL7ZEC.png

Homework Equations

Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

CM3YpiC.png

WF5z5Ay.png

I am confused on how to put this problem in terms of x & y and get numerical values for both x & y. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

Try putting ##\sin\alpha = y/r## and ##\cos\alpha = x/r## in your equation.

LCKurtz said:
Try putting ##\sin\alpha = y/r## and ##\cos\alpha = x/r## in your equation.
Great thank you. That was a big help and is starting to make sense now. Since it is a right triangle, your equations can be used.
[tex]x^{2}+y^{2} = \frac{(\frac{x}{r})}{(\frac{y}{r})^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore x^{2}+y^{2} = \frac{(\frac{x}{r})}{(\frac{y}{r})^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore x^{2}+y^{2} = (\frac{x}{r}) * \frac{y^{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore x^{2}+y^{2} = (\frac{x}{r}) * \frac{r^{2}}{y^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore x^{2}+y^{2} = ({x}) * \frac{r}{y^{2}}[/tex]

I am still a little confused on how to get numerical values for x & y. This looks like it can be solved via the unit-circle if I set the right hand side of the equation to 1. Does this look right?

Thanks~

skybox said:
Great thank you. That was a big help and is starting to make sense now. Since it is a right triangle, your equations can be used.
[tex]x^{2}+y^{2} = \frac{(\frac{x}{r})}{(\frac{y}{r})^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore x^{2}+y^{2} = \frac{(\frac{x}{r})}{(\frac{y}{r})^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore x^{2}+y^{2} = (\frac{x}{r}) * \frac{y^{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

That third step is wrong. To divide fractions you "invert and multiply". Also put in ##r^2## on the left side after you fix the right side.

Also, I missed that you had put ##x^2+y^2## on the left. That is ##r^2##. Your original equation just has ##r## and you should leave it there.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
That third step is wrong. To divide fractions you "invert and multiply". Also put in ##r^2## on the left side after you fix the right side.

Yes that was a typo. I actually do the correct method in step 4.

LCKurtz said:
Also, I missed that you had put ##x^2+y^2## on the left. That is ##r^2##. Your original equation just has ##r## and you should leave it there.

I am getting the following:
[tex]r = \frac{x}{r} * \frac{r^{2}}{x^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]cos \alpha = \frac{x}{r}/[tex]
[tex]sin \alpha = \frac{y}{r}[/tex]
[tex]r = \frac{\frac{x}{r}}{\frac{x^{2}}{r^{2}}}[/tex]
[tex]r = \frac{xr}{y^{2}} [/tex]
[tex]r = \frac{xr}{y^{2}} [/tex]
[tex]1 = \frac{x}{y^{2}} [/tex]

Stuck again...now a little confused. Do I need to put this in the form [tex]x^{2} + y^{2} = r^{2}[/tex]

skybox said:
I am getting the following:

[tex]1 = \frac{x}{y^{2}} [/tex]

Stuck again...now a little confused. Do I need to put this in the form [tex]x^{2} + y^{2} = r^{2}[/tex]

You want an x-y equation. What's wrong with ##x=y^2##? Now use what you know about xy conics to locate its focus.

Great. I think I got it. Since this equation is in the form of:
[tex]x=y^{2}[/tex]
it is a parabola with the general equation of [tex]x = a(y-k)^{2} + h[/tex]. a = 1 and k = 0 in this case. The focus point for a parabola in this form is at [tex](h+p, k)[/tex] And [tex] p = \frac{1}{4a}[/tex]. Therefore, since a = 1, [tex]p=\frac{1}{4}[/tex].

The focus point is therefore [tex](\frac{1}{4}, 0)[/tex]

Thanks LCKurtz!

1. What are the different types of conic sections?

The four main types of conic sections are the circle, ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola. These shapes are created by intersecting a cone with a plane at different angles.

2. What are the equations for each type of conic section?

The general equation for a circle is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center of the circle and r is the radius. For an ellipse, the equation is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively. The equation for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, and for a hyperbola it is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola and a and b are the lengths of the transverse and conjugate axes, respectively.

3. How are conic sections used in real life?

Conic sections have many practical applications in fields like engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, parabolas are used in satellite dishes to focus signals, and hyperbolas are used in the design of suspension bridges. Ellipses are also commonly found in everyday objects such as egg cartons and bicycle wheels.

4. What is the focus-directrix property of conic sections?

The focus-directrix property states that for any point on a conic section, the distance to the focus is equal to the distance to the directrix. This property helps define the shape of each type of conic section and is used in their equations.

5. How are conic sections related to one another?

Each type of conic section can be seen as a special case of the other types. For example, a circle can be seen as a special case of an ellipse where the two axes are equal in length. Similarly, a parabola can be seen as a special case of a hyperbola where the transverse and conjugate axes are equal in length. This relationship is also reflected in the equations of conic sections.