Geometry in High School: Uses & Practical Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of Geometry in high school and its practical applications compared to other math courses. The speaker questions whether Geometry is applicable in real-world situations and if people actually use it in technical fields. However, it is argued that studying Geometry teaches a certain way of thinking and is a fundamental part of mathematics. It also provides an introduction to the concept of proofs and can be useful in solving more complex problems.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Excuse me, since the question could be misplaced to this board while a better forum board might fit:

Why is Geometry in High School, the college preparatory course, important for any PRACTICAL puposes, when Intermediate Algebra, Trig+Math Analysis, and Statistics seem so much more practical and applicable to real world situations? The idea that Geometry be "beutiful" or is relevant to Art is not an adequate reason here; my motivation is to know how people can use Geometry in important ways similar to Algebra, Statistics, and Trigonometry. Do Engineers, or anyone, actually conduct proofs based upon that college preparatory Geometry course? Do any people really apply the individual geometric properties (Excluding Trigonometry) to derive relationships for problem solving, in any technical, engineering, or technician-type field? Further, merely having a formula result of "this is how you calculate volume of a cylinder", or any such simple result, is not what I'm asking about. My question is a far bigger one than something like that.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Many times a school subject (such as geometry) is useful in that it teaches you a certain way to think that you never would without such courses. Never mind the practical, or sometimes seemingly impractical, sides of a school subject.

Geometry was one of the major early developments in the study of mathematics. Today our technical problems have advanced beyond the point where we can just apply simple geometrical principles, but the study of geometric principles at the high school level is still extremely important. I like to reason geometrically, even if I'm working on a calculus problem. I think also that the high school geometry course gives an easier introduction to the idea of proofs than another course--algebra, for instance.

1. What is the importance of studying geometry in high school?

Studying geometry in high school is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also lays the foundation for advanced mathematical concepts and has practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. What are some practical applications of geometry in everyday life?

Geometry has numerous practical applications in everyday life, such as calculating distances and areas, designing buildings and structures, and understanding spatial relationships. It is also used in navigation, art, and sports.

3. How does geometry help in understanding other subjects?

Geometry is a fundamental branch of mathematics and provides a basis for understanding other subjects such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It helps in visualizing and understanding concepts such as angles, shapes, and dimensions.

4. What are some examples of real-world problems that can be solved using geometry?

Real-world problems that can be solved using geometry include finding the area of a field, calculating the volume of a container, determining the height of a building, and designing a bridge or road layout. Geometry is also used in analyzing and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.

5. How can studying geometry in high school benefit future career opportunities?

Studying geometry in high school can open up various career opportunities in fields such as architecture, engineering, surveying, and computer graphics. It also provides a strong foundation for further studies in mathematics and related fields.