Geometry of Methane: Finding the Distance Between Hydrogen and Carbon Atoms

In summary, the problem involves finding the length of the distance between a hydrogen atom at A and a carbon atom at O in a methane molecule. This distance can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem, with the book giving the answer as AO = e(sqrt-3)/2. By analyzing the right triangle formed by APO, the values of AP and OP can be found, leading to the final solution of AO = (e(sqrt3)/2).
crastinus

Homework Statement

In a methane molecule, determine the length of the distance between a hydrogen atom at A and the carbon atom at O (see diagram) in terms of the length of the edge (e) of the cube at four of whose corners the hydrogen atoms rest.

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 10.22.09 AM.png

Homework Equations

pythagorean theorem?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of the problem asks to find AB (see diagram). AB= e(sqrt-2).

The book gives the answer as AO=e(sqrt-3)/2, but I don't know how they got it.

I'm sure this is simple! I'm just not having any luck.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi crastinus, you can UPLOAD your file and attach it to your post. Then you can insert it in the text where you want it. Use the UPLOAD button in the lower right corner of the edit pane.

Ah. I see it now. Thanks! Edits made.

From your image:
upload_2016-4-6_10-22-57.png

Note the plane image of the triangle in question. APO is a right triangle with AO as its hypotenuse. Can you find values for AP and OP?

If I'm right that AB= e(sqrt2), then AP=e(sqrt2)/2.

How to find AO? If I knew that this were a certain type of triangle, 45-45 or 30-60, I could determine AO. So, my question is: How can I determine AO knowing only one side and the right angle of triangle AOP. I know the various angles involved, but the point is to get AO in terms of e. That's what I'm not sure how to do.

Thanks!

You should be able to determine OP. Where is O located in the cube? Where is P located?

Wow. OK. Yes. OP=e/2.

And so, A0=(e/2)^2 + (e(sqrt2)/2)^2, which gives us AO=(e(sqrt3)/2)!

Thanks. Sometimes I just don't see what I'm looking at.

1. What is the molecular geometry of methane?

The molecular geometry of methane is tetrahedral, with a central carbon atom bonded to four hydrogen atoms at 109.5 degrees angles from each other.

2. How is the geometry of methane determined?

The geometry of methane is determined by the arrangement of its atoms and the number of electron groups around the central carbon atom. In methane, there are four electron groups, resulting in a tetrahedral shape.

3. Why is the geometry of methane important?

The geometry of methane is important because it affects the molecule's physical and chemical properties. For example, the tetrahedral shape of methane allows for efficient packing in its solid form, giving it a higher melting and boiling point compared to other molecules of similar size.

4. How does the geometry of methane affect its reactivity?

The geometry of methane affects its reactivity by determining the strength and orientation of its bonds. The tetrahedral shape of methane allows for equal distribution of electron density, making it a relatively stable molecule. This stability makes it less reactive compared to other molecules with more strained geometries.

5. Can the geometry of methane be changed?

The geometry of methane can be changed through chemical reactions. For example, if one of the hydrogen atoms is replaced with a different atom, the geometry will no longer be tetrahedral. However, the original geometry can be restored by removing the substituting atom and replacing it with a hydrogen atom.