Solving Geometry Problem: Disparity in Terms of a, D, d, e, & f

• Thread starter SoggyBottoms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the problem involves finding the disparity, δ, in terms of interocular distance, a, viewing distance, D, and d, e, and f. The solution involves using tangent relations to find the values of α and β, and then taking the difference between them to get δ.
SoggyBottoms

Homework Statement

Disparity is defined as [itex]\delta = \alpha - \beta[/itex]. Find [itex]\delta[/itex] in terms of interocular distance a, viewing distance D and d, e and f.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7576/43519392.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not getting anywhere. Any tips to get me started?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by writing down the tangent relations. For example, α is the difference between the two angles that Q and P make from the vertical (forward?) direction. So

α = atan(f/(D+d)) - atan(e/D)

and so forth.

BBB

Thanks. Then:

[itex]\beta = \arctan(\frac{a - e}{D}) - \arctan(\frac{a - f}{D + d})[/itex]

Correct? Then I already have my answer it seems.

Yes. It seems like you're about there. Don't forget the problem asks for δ=α-β.

I would first clarify the definitions of the variables involved in this problem. Interocular distance, a, refers to the distance between the two eyes. Viewing distance, D, refers to the distance between the observer and the object being viewed. The variables d, e, and f are not defined in the problem statement, so it is unclear what they represent.

To solve this problem, we need to understand the geometric relationships between these variables. From the image provided, we can see that \delta is the difference between the angles \alpha and \beta. These angles can be calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically tangent and inverse tangent.

Using the definition of tangent, we can write \tan{\alpha} = \frac{d}{a} and \tan{\beta} = \frac{e}{D}. Solving for \alpha and \beta, we get \alpha = \tan^{-1}{\frac{d}{a}} and \beta = \tan^{-1}{\frac{e}{D}}.

Substituting these values into the definition of disparity, \delta = \alpha - \beta, we get \delta = \tan^{-1}{\frac{d}{a}} - \tan^{-1}{\frac{e}{D}}.

Therefore, the disparity, \delta, can be expressed in terms of interocular distance, a, viewing distance, D, and the variables d and e. However, without a clear definition of d and e, it is not possible to simplify this expression further.

In conclusion, to solve this geometry problem, we need to use trigonometric functions and understand the geometric relationships between the variables involved. It is important to have a clear understanding of the definitions of the variables and to carefully follow the given instructions.

Related to Solving Geometry Problem: Disparity in Terms of a, D, d, e, & f

What is a, D, d, e, and f in geometry?

In geometry, a, D, d, e, and f are variables that represent various measurements or quantities in a geometric problem. For example, a and b can represent the sides of a triangle, while D and d can represent the diameters of circles. The specific meaning of each variable may vary depending on the context of the problem.

How do I solve a geometry problem involving a, D, d, e, and f?

To solve a geometry problem, you will need to use the given measurements and apply relevant geometric principles and formulas. For example, you may need to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of a side, or the area formula for a circle to find the value of D or d. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and identify which variables to use in your calculations.

What is the disparity in terms of a, D, d, e, and f in geometry?

Disparity in terms of a, D, d, e, and f refers to the difference or discrepancy between these variables in a geometric problem. This may arise when trying to solve for one variable in terms of others, or when comparing the values of these variables in different geometric shapes or situations.

How can I determine the values of a, D, d, e, and f in a geometry problem?

The values of a, D, d, e, and f can be determined by using relevant geometric principles and formulas and solving for these variables. You may also be given certain values for these variables and be asked to use them to find other quantities in the problem. In some cases, you may need to use algebraic manipulation or substitution to determine the values of these variables.

What are some common applications of a, D, d, e, and f in geometry?

The variables a, D, d, e, and f are used in various geometric problems and applications. For example, they may be used to calculate the dimensions of geometric figures, such as triangles, circles, or rectangles. They may also be used in real-world scenarios, such as calculating distances, areas, or volumes in construction, engineering, or design. Understanding these variables and how to use them can help solve a wide range of geometry problems.