Get Optimal Robot Movement with This Walking Equation | Java Programmer Help

• Thread starter Kura_kai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a physics equation that can help a robot calculate the best way to get from point A to point B. The use of graph theory and the equation of a straight line are suggested as possible solutions. Other considerations such as obstacles and learning capabilities for the robot are also mentioned. The importance of incorporating reactive agent architecture and learning is emphasized for optimal movement and dealing with dynamic environments. Links to demonstrations and additional information are provided for further research.
Kura_kai
I am new here and i am a java programer and i needed a physics equation. I need to get an equation that can allow a robot to calculate how to get from point a to b the best way. I have been thinking of something like that but keep drawing blanks. Any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not giving use much to go on. Is it a straight line? does the robot have a map or does it need to observe it surroundings?

Graph theory has many common algorithms to determine the lowest cost path. Is this what you are looking for?

It is going in a straigh path the distance is going to be like 50 feet or something.

Kura_kai said:
It is going in a straigh path the distance is going to be like 50 feet or something.

.. and the simple equation of a straight line like y = mx + b just doesn't cut it?

Zz.

If the co-ordinates of the 2 points are A(x1,y1) and B(x2,y2), the equation of the line passing between them is :

[tex]y - y_1 = \frac {y_1 - y_2}{x_1 - x_2} ~ \cdot ~ x - x_1 [/tex]

Please tell me there is something more too it then this, there are bumps on the ground, there is a hill in the way, or some sort of obstacles. It is not flat ground for 50 feet is it?

Another question:is this a geodesic or a brahistochrone problem...?

Daniel.

Davorak said:
Please tell me there is something more too it then this, there are bumps on the ground, there is a hill in the way, or some sort of obstacles. It is not flat ground for 50 feet is it?

I vote for the speed bump...

Zz.

It is a straight path for 50 feet. The equation is meant to find figure out how big the steps have to be so it doesn't fall forward or something other than that there is not going to be a sudden unexcpected force accting on the robot.

That's too ambitious kura_kai to be handled by a simple Java program. There are two things you can consider to drastically improve you robot design: 1. use the reactive agent architecture instead of symbolic reasoning (or at least hybrid), 2. Incorporate some form of learning to your robot, so that the latter itself decides which are the most optimal movements and step sizes. Sth like reinforcement learning.
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the walking equation used in this program?

The walking equation used in this program is a mathematical model that determines the optimal movement of a robot's legs in order to achieve efficient and stable walking.

2. How does this program benefit robot movement?

This program helps improve robot movement by providing an optimized walking equation that allows the robot to move efficiently and maintain balance, reducing the risk of falls and malfunctions.

3. Can this program be used for all types of robots?

Yes, this walking equation can be applied to various types of robots, as it takes into account the physical characteristics and capabilities of the specific robot it is programmed for.

4. How is this program implemented in Java?

This program is implemented in Java by using mathematical algorithms and coding techniques to translate the walking equation into a functional program that can be run on a Java platform.

5. Is this walking equation based on any existing research?

Yes, this walking equation is based on extensive research and studies on the mechanics of walking and movement in robots, as well as other animals and organisms.