Getting started in electronics for non-EEs? Basics?

In summary, the conversation was about someone seeking advice on how to improve their knowledge and skills in electronics and circuits. They mentioned taking basic E&M courses in their physics major but not being able to solder or read complex diagrams. They were looking for recommendations on beginner-level projects and resources. One suggestion was to check out a free online teaching forum and course from the University of Ontario. Another recommendation was a book titled "Experiments in Electronics Fundamentals and Electric Circuits Fundamentals" which is used for introductory physics lab courses at MIT and Caltech. A blog was also mentioned as a potential resource.
MissSilvy
Hello gang. [I used the search but couldn't find much except for recommendations for Horowitz's Art of Electronics, so I apologize in advance if I missed a similar thread somewhere]

I realized that my knowledge of electronics, circuits, and the like is appallingly bad for someone who claims to want to be a scientist. I took a few basic E&M courses in my physics major, so I can read really simple circuits and understand some basic concepts but I can't solder, read 'real' diagrams, or build my own stuff. I have a summer to burn and I'd like to get myself up to speed on some of this stuff. I looked at the toolbox thread, so I have a rough idea of what some of the parts I need would be and a place to get them, I suppose I'm just looking for a book explaining the basics of building and understanding electronics or one with some good beginner-level projects. If anyone could give me some advice or point me to a similar thread, I'd be very appreciative. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would recommend https://www.amazon.com/dp/0867204826/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Its an excellent book to get hands-on experience with various experiments. The labs are exciting , and you will feel like you accomplished something by the time you go through it. It is used for intro phys lab courses in physics in MIT and Caltech. You will like this book as a physics major, and get a good exposure to basic EE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.digitalblggr.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the essential components needed for a basic electronics setup?

The basic components needed for an electronics setup include a breadboard, jumper wires, resistors, capacitors, LEDs, a power supply, and a multimeter. These components are used to build and test simple circuits and are readily available at most electronics stores.

2. What is the best way to learn the fundamentals of electronics?

The best way to learn the fundamentals of electronics is to start with basic concepts such as Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and circuit analysis. Online resources, textbooks, and hands-on experimentation are all great ways to learn and practice these concepts.

3. How can I familiarize myself with electronic components and their functions?

One way to familiarize yourself with electronic components is to read their datasheets, which provide information on their specifications and recommended usage. You can also watch tutorials and demonstrations online or attend workshops and courses to learn about the functions of different components.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with electronics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with electronics include not using proper safety precautions, not double-checking connections, and not understanding the circuit before making changes. It is also important to use the correct voltage and current ratings for components and to avoid touching live circuits.

5. How can I troubleshoot and fix issues with my electronic projects?

The best way to troubleshoot and fix issues with electronic projects is to break down the circuit and test each component individually. Using a multimeter, you can check for open and short circuits, as well as incorrect values. It is also helpful to refer to schematics or seek advice from experienced individuals in online forums or maker communities.