Getting the breath knocked out of you

• Medical
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, kids are more likely to experience the wind knocked out phenomenon because they are more active, and the paralysis of the diaphragm muscle is a temporary condition that is the same as a cramp.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A few questions about getting the wind knocked out of you.

How come this happens to kids more than adults? Is it just that kids are so much more active, or is there a physiological reason?

So I read that it's a temporary paralysis of the diaphragm muscle (wiki). Is this the same as a cramp?

Can a person die from it?

Biology news on Phys.org
The Wiki article on wind knocked out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getting_the_wind_knocked_out_of_you

Cramp - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramp
http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/muscle-cramps

If one is deprived of oxygen for a long enough period, then one would become unconcious, and if long enough perhaps cardiac arrest would occur.

I've had two events where I was unable to breath for short period, one when I was about 19 and fell out of boxcar and hit the edge of the loading dock with my ribcage (only broke one rib but didn't puncture the chest wall), and the second when I was about 44 or so, and hit the ground sideways after falling out of a tree. Both times it took about a minute of so before I could breath again - and it was light short intakes at first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links, Astronuc.

The only time I remember this happening to me, I was in 5th or 6th grade and a classmate hit me in the middle of the abdomen. It's pretty disconcerting not to be able to breath!

As an adult I haven't encountered people who try to hit me :smile:, so I'd agree that it's the more active nature of kids that makes this more common with them.

I think the first time it happens (especially at a younger age) panic results - and makes it worse. Each time it happens afterward, you have experience to draw on for a faster recovery.

Related to Getting the breath knocked out of you

1. What exactly happens when you get the breath knocked out of you?

When you get the breath knocked out of you, it is typically caused by a sudden impact to your chest or stomach. This impact can cause the muscles in your diaphragm to spasm, which temporarily prevents you from being able to inhale.

2. How long does it normally last?

The duration of having the breath knocked out of you varies from person to person and depends on the severity of the impact. It can last anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. However, if it lasts longer than a few minutes, it is important to seek medical attention.

3. Is it dangerous?

In most cases, getting the breath knocked out of you is not considered dangerous. While it can be a scary and uncomfortable experience, it is usually temporary and does not cause any long-term harm. However, if you experience any additional symptoms or have difficulty breathing after the initial impact, it is important to seek medical attention.

4. Can it be prevented?

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent getting the breath knocked out of you if you experience a sudden impact to your chest or stomach. However, wearing protective gear during physical activities, such as sports, can help reduce the chances of experiencing this sensation.

5. What should I do if it happens to me?

If you get the breath knocked out of you, the best thing to do is to stay calm and try to relax your muscles. This will help to ease the spasm in your diaphragm and allow you to start breathing again. Taking slow, deep breaths can also help. If the sensation persists or you experience additional symptoms, seek medical attention.