GF(q); x^p-x+a has no root => irreducible [PROOF]

In summary: Well, if the root were not in F, then the equation would have at least one root in F. But it does not, so it must be in F.In summary, if f is reducible then it has a root in GF(q).
UD1

Homework Statement

Let q=p^e, where p is a prime and e is a positive integer. Let a be in GF(q). Show that f(x)=x^p-x+a is irreducible over GF(q) if and only if f(x) has no root in GF(q)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

One of the directions seems obvious. Namely, if f is irreducible, the f has no roots: if f had a root, say b in GF(q), then f(x)=(x-b)*g(x), where g is a poly with coefficients from GF(q).

The other direction: if f has no root, then f is irreducible. Or equivalently, f is reducible, then f has a root in GF(q). Frankly, I don't have any ideas. The only "observation" I made is that if the power of f were q rather than p and it had a root, say b, then b+1, b+2,...,b+p-1 would be roots, too. I think the key point here is that I need to "guess" what the linear factorization of f in its splitting field looks like.

Physics news on Phys.org
UD1 said:
The only "observation" I made is that if the power of f were q rather than p and it had a root, say b, then b+1, b+2,...,b+p-1 would be roots, too.
I could understand this if you were adding arbitrary elements of GF(q) -- but since you're just adding elements of GF(p), I don't understand why you are insisting on q instead of p.

Hurkyl said:
I could understand this if you were adding arbitrary elements of GF(q) -- but since you're just adding elements of GF(p), I don't understand why you are insisting on q instead of p.

OK. It looks that there is some notation misunderstanding. I'm not that well familiar with finite fields so I might have used the type of notation not usually used.

By GF(q) I mean a finite field of order q (with q elements) where q is a power of prime p, and that p is a characteristic of the field.

Right, that's what I thought you meant. The numbers you're adding to b: 0,1,2,...,p-1, are all elements of GF(p).

Hurkyl said:
Right, that's what I thought you meant. The numbers you're adding to b: 0,1,2,...,p-1, are all elements of GF(p).

So, how does that help?

Well, if I'm right, then your observation applies. Surely that's better than your observation not applying?

Hurkyl said:
Well, if I'm right, then your observation applies. Surely that's better than your observation not applying?

So, we know that, assuming that b is a root in some extension of F, then

[tex] f(x)=\prod_{j=0}^{p-1}(x-(b+j))[/tex].

Now suppose that f is reducible, that is f=gh for some polynomials g and h whose coefficients are in GF(q). There must exists a proper subset I of {0,...,p-1} such that

[tex] g(x)=\prod_{j\in I}(x-(b+j))[/tex].

How does it follow that f has a root in F. Namely, that b is in F?

1. What is GF(q)?

GF(q) stands for Galois field with q elements. It is a finite field that consists of q elements, where q is a prime power (q = p^n, where p is a prime number and n is a positive integer).

2. What does it mean for a polynomial to be irreducible?

A polynomial is irreducible if it cannot be factored into polynomials of lower degree with coefficients in the same field. In other words, it cannot be broken down into simpler polynomials.

3. Why is it important for x^p-x+a to have no root in GF(q)?

In GF(q), a polynomial of degree p that has no root is automatically irreducible. This is known as the Frobenius theorem. Therefore, if x^p-x+a has no root in GF(q), we can conclude that it is irreducible in GF(q).

4. How can it be proven that x^p-x+a has no root in GF(q)?

One way to prove this is by using the contrapositive of the Frobenius theorem. It states that if a polynomial of degree p in GF(q) is reducible, then it must have a root. Therefore, to prove that x^p-x+a has no root in GF(q), we can show that it is irreducible.

5. Can you provide an example to illustrate this theorem?

Yes, for example, let's consider the polynomial x^2+1 in GF(5). This polynomial is irreducible because it has no roots in GF(5). If we try to factor it, we get (x+2)(x+3), but these roots do not belong to GF(5). Therefore, x^2+1 is irreducible in GF(5) and follows the Frobenius theorem.