Gimbaled Gyroscope: Do I Need Constant Torque?

• Thread starter Viroos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gyroscope
In summary, the question is whether the same torque is needed from the gimbal motor to accelerate the flywheel, regardless of whether it is rotating or not. The answer is yes, the same torque is required, but the gyroscopic couple will also produce a bending moment on the gimbal shaft. This is due to the fact that the gimbal motor is fixed to the floor and precession is not possible in this scenario.
Viroos
Hi !
I have very basic question about gyroscopes: do I need same torque from gimbal motor to accelerate the flywheel whenever it's rotating or not ? (and the gimbal motor is attached to the floor)

cmg.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody ?

The torque applied from the gimbal motor is not going to accelerate it, it is only going to cause precessional motion at a particular constant angular velocity. You'd have to change the torque to change the velocity of precession. The couple is equal to moment of inertia times the cross product of velocity of precession and vel. of spin.
There's something wrong with your diagram. The input couple causes precession about a perpendicular axis but this kind of motion is not possible from what is seen in the drawing.

Last edited:
That's what is confusing me-the gimbal motor is fixed to the floor, so the precession is impossible and the only possible rotation is "omega", and that's exactly the problem-is there any difference in the gimbal motor torque when the flywheel is rotating and when it's not ?

The same amount of torque will be required to accelerate the flywheel irrespective of whether it's rotating or not, but the gyroscopic couple will produce bending moment of the gimbal shaft.

Related to Gimbaled Gyroscope: Do I Need Constant Torque?

1. What is a gimbaled gyroscope?

A gimbaled gyroscope is a device that uses the principle of angular momentum to measure and maintain orientation and stability in objects such as ships, airplanes, and spacecraft. It consists of a spinning wheel or rotor mounted on a set of gimbals, which allows it to remain level and maintain its orientation even when the object it is mounted on is moving or rotating.

2. How does a gimbaled gyroscope work?

A gimbaled gyroscope works by utilizing the principle of conservation of angular momentum. The spinning rotor inside the device resists changes in its orientation and maintains a fixed axis of rotation, while the gimbals allow it to remain level and stable as the object it is mounted on moves or rotates.

3. Why is constant torque necessary for a gimbaled gyroscope?

Constant torque is necessary for a gimbaled gyroscope because it keeps the rotor spinning at a constant rate, which is essential for accurate measurements of orientation and stability. Without constant torque, the rotor's speed may fluctuate, causing errors in the device's readings.

4. How is constant torque achieved in a gimbaled gyroscope?

Constant torque is achieved in a gimbaled gyroscope through the use of a motor or other source of power that applies a continuous force to keep the rotor spinning at a constant rate. The amount of torque required depends on the size and weight of the rotor and the speed at which it needs to spin.

5. Do I need to calibrate a gimbaled gyroscope for constant torque?

Yes, it is important to calibrate a gimbaled gyroscope for constant torque to ensure accurate readings. This involves adjusting the motor or power source to apply just the right amount of torque to keep the rotor spinning at a constant rate. Without proper calibration, the device may produce inaccurate measurements.