Expressing Feelings to the Girl I Like

• Thread starter GautamAishwarya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
In summary, Gautam is in love with a girl who does not reciprocate his feelings. He has been told by his friends that he should talk to her in an interesting way and on interesting topics, but this has not worked. He has also been told that if he truly loves her he should express himself in some way. He proposes coffee as a way to start a conversation.
GautamAishwarya
there is a big problem. its another girl problem.. the girl whom i like "respects me". i wanted to come close to her as a friend but like all others in my school she thinks me to be a crazy eccentric mathematical physicist. her friends told me that i should talk to her in an interesting way and on interesting topics. one day when she talked , i lectured her on the number 1729.
she thinks of me as a good natured boy but does not understand that i really love her.
someone suggest me a way to express my self infront of her.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quick question, and I am asking because it is in fact relevant...

how old are both of you?

Talk about fractals, they're romantic and nerdy, win-win.

how about you don't lecture her but engage her in some sort of conversation?

women may like intelligent men, but they don't like to feel stupid either.

From what you've said, it sounds as if you've been placed in the friend category. If that's the case, it's probably best to abandon hope.

ptabor said:
how about you don't lecture her but engage her in some sort of conversation?

women may like intelligent men, but they don't like to feel stupid either.

From what you've said, it sounds as if you've been placed in the friend category. If that's the case, it's probably best to abandon hope.

DING! DING! DING!

He probably bored her to death already. I'm into mathematics, but if that's all someone talks about, I'd... :zzz:

I remember when i litterly had to go around helping the girls when i went to school because i finished amongst the first... god they hated it lol.. you could just see those eyes spear you as you got closer and they had to listen to math... :rofl:

You can always do the "I'm gay" trick. Then she will be interested to see if she is able to make you change back.

After you made that 1729 lecture, there is little else that might work your way. It's true, it was THAT bad, you have practically blown the chances you had.

GautamAishwarya said:
there is a big problem. its another girl problem.. the girl whom i like "respects me". i wanted to come close to her as a friend but like all others in my school she thinks me to be a crazy eccentric mathematical physicist. her friends told me that i should talk to her in an interesting way and on interesting topics. one day when she talked , i lectured her on the number 1729.
she thinks of me as a good natured boy but does not understand that i really love her.
Well, asking her out for a coffee would be a pretty good start.

But two things I'd like to hear about:

1] The answer to ptabor's question (post#2).

2] When you say you "love" her, um, do you really mean that? Or are you merely interested in her at this point?

Last edited:
Why should a girl want to drink coffee with a guy who is susceptible to blather about the very interesting property of 26??
(26 HAS a very interesting property, by the way)

Gautam, ur profile says u r 14 yrs old. Do you think you really love her or is it simply an attraction. Technically it is said "calf love" or "puppy love". U are on the onset of adoloscence. It's natural to have an attractive feeling towards ur opp sex.
Anyway ur love will only fruitful if she loves you.
Btw which state are u from(in India)?

arildno said:
You can always do the "I'm gay" trick. Then she will be interested to see if she is able to make you change back.

After you made that 1729 lecture, there is little else that might work your way. It's true, it was THAT bad, you have practically blown the chances you had.

lol, nice.

If in case you are only 14, I would suggest not trying at all with girls at this point. You are way to young and obviously have a lot to look forward to. Getting involved with girls that young will invariably lead to problems. I would go on normally and let the girls come to you, that's what I did in HS.

GautamAishwarya said:

You must take control of her! They want you to look at them with lush. They find it "exciting" when you do nasty things to them. Try to see them as a piece of meat, and try everything to not look like you want too desperatly "understand" their female brain. Before you object to my comment, i had always dated model-looking girls that are extremally smart( mathematicians( she was in the putman ) , programmers, physicists, english majors). Girls no matter how good and pure wants to be taken. The more "pure", the more intelligent they are, the more they want to be control emotionally.

you sound like a teenager. you might find some ideas on how to approach this girl from the teen kid in the movie, american beauty. as odd as he was in that fikm, it was his "confidence" that won over the girl. confidence is key!

GautamAishwarya said:
one day when she talked , i lectured her on the number 1729.
WHY?!​

Surely you have something else you could talk about other than a number? And, nobody likes to be lectured to about anything unless they're paying to sit in a classroom and expecting a test on it later.

You're jumping the gun, saying you "love" her, but how can you if you don't even seem to know her? If you can't think of something you both have in common that she might be interested in discussing rather than just lecturing her about some number, then you don't know her well enough to be sure you even like her let alone love her. Sounds more like you're just physically attracted to her.

If you really can't think of a better conversation topic than the number 1729 (i.e., it wasn't just nervousness making you do it), then I strongly suggest you get out and find something other than math to do in your spare time to broaden your horizons so you will have other things to talk to people about, or else start looking for someone equally eccentric.

Arg, another relationship thread. Jesus...:yuck:

one day when she talked , i lectured her on the number 1729.

Enjoy being single.

arildno said:

:rofl: Gold. Even the gay guy says way to go sport... :rofl:

For the record, I initially wooed my lady of ... 18 years now... by talking about particle physics.

If they're into you, it doesn't matter if you read pr0n to them, they'll find it fascinating.

arildno said:
(26 HAS a very interesting property, by the way)
Not takin' the bait. Nope. Can't make me. :approve:

In defense of 1729 it is possible to discuss it's fame in the mathematical folklore without boring the pants off the 'average' person (though boring their pants off may be the goal), the relationship between Hardy and Ramanujan should have appeal to anyone.

GautamAishwarya, the advice to talk to her about something intersting was good, but it has to be interesting to her if you want to get her to listen to you and engage in a conversation. The time to bore her with your own interests that she's not interested in is after you have fed her a large meal you cooked youself and she is unable to escape quickly. Or after she is actually interested in you and willing to talk about something she has no interest in apart from the fact that you care about it (i.e. it's important to her simply because it's important to you).

Not everyone wants a math lecture, if you want a girl you can 'lecture' to, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Math that's awesome.

Math Is Hard said:
I just encountered the interesting number paradox. It was very um.. interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interesting_number_paradox
I found more detail on 1729 here last night. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1729_(number)

It's actually quite interesting.

"1729 is the third Carmichael number, and a Zeisel number. It is a centered cube number, as well as a dodecagonal number, a 24-gonal and 84-gonal number.

1729 has another interesting property: the 1729th decimal place is the beginning of the first occurrence of all ten digits without repetition in the decimal representation of the transcendental number e, although, of course, this fact would not have been known to either mathematician, since the computer algorithms used to discover this were not implemented until much later. [2]

Masahiko Fujiwara showed that 1729 is one of four natural numbers (the others are 81 and 1458 and the trivial case 1) which, when its digits are added together, produces a sum which, when multiplied by its reversed self, yields the original number:

1 + 7 + 2 + 9 = 19
19 · 91 = 1729 "

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Not takin' the bait. Nope. Can't make me. :approve:
It tempts your geeky heart. Admit it.

DaveC426913 said:
If they're into you, it doesn't matter if you read pr0n to them, they'll find it fascinating.
HAHA:rofl: too true...but that fascination will wear out eventually if they are not truly interested in the topic.

octelcogopod said:
Math that's awesome.
I thought so. I wonder if I can use it to pick up guys? Hey handsome, tell me your phone number and I'll tell you why it's interesting.:smile:

I think you really enjoy tempting people.:devil::wink:

Math Is Hard said:
I thought so. I wonder if I can use it to pick up guys? Hey handsome, tell me your phone number and I'll tell you why it's interesting.:smile:
Possibly in Norwegian, since the word "seks" (meaning "six") coincides in its pronounciation with...

I wouldn't recommend a non-Norwegian to try this trick, though..

arildno said:
Must. Not. Ask.
*gnaws arm*
*Girls within a 50 yard radius catch scent of geek about to go off. Begin running.*

DaveC426913 said:
Must. Not. Ask.
*gnaws arm*
ask him what's interesting about 6.

Math Is Hard said:
Oooh, I'd fall for that. Besides, I have a very interesting phone number. It's the same as the patent number for a pharmaceutical preparation that inhibits the Hepatitus B virus.

Doh! :bugeye: Well, surely you can think of something else interesting about my phone number.

GautamAishwarya said:
There's not enough human interaction in that story. You should have talked to her about 1729.03 - that's a lot more interesting.

Math Is Hard said:
ask him what's interesting about 6.
Oh puhleeze. 6 is perfectly easy.:biggrin:

BobG said:
Doh! :bugeye: Well, surely you can think of something else interesting about my phone number.
Is your number 754 337 8537? :smile:

DaveC426913 said:
Oh puhleeze. 6 is perfectly easy.
6 may be perfect, but it is best known for being terrified of 7. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
6 may be perfect, but it is best known for being terrified of 7. :biggrin:
Because 7 8 9 & 10. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
Is your number 754 337 8537? :smile:
That's about 6,000 feet too low. I forgot some people live in cities big enough they have to dial ten digit phone numbers.

But I'm sure they'd appreciate a phone call. Some of those people need some extra instruction on how to read their ballot and cast their vote.

<h2>1. How do I express my feelings to the girl I like?</h2><p>There is no one right way to express your feelings to someone you like. However, some common methods include telling her directly, writing her a letter or note, or showing your feelings through small gestures or actions.</p><h2>2. What if I'm afraid of being rejected?</h2><p>It's natural to feel scared of rejection when expressing your feelings to someone. However, it's important to remember that rejection is a normal part of life and it doesn't define your worth as a person. It's better to be honest and take the risk than to always wonder "what if?"</p><h2>3. Should I wait for the "right" moment to tell her?</h2><p>While it's important to choose an appropriate time and place to express your feelings, there is no "perfect" moment. If you keep waiting for the right moment, you may miss your chance. Trust your instincts and choose a time when you feel comfortable and confident.</p><h2>4. How can I make sure she understands how I feel?</h2><p>Communication is key in any relationship. Be open and honest when expressing your feelings and make sure to listen to her as well. Also, try to be specific and give examples of why you like her and what makes her special to you.</p><h2>5. What if she doesn't feel the same way?</h2><p>It's important to be prepared for the possibility that she may not feel the same way. If that happens, try to handle the situation gracefully and respect her feelings. Remember that it's not a reflection of your worth as a person and there are plenty of other people out there who may be a better match for you.</p>

1. How do I express my feelings to the girl I like?

There is no one right way to express your feelings to someone you like. However, some common methods include telling her directly, writing her a letter or note, or showing your feelings through small gestures or actions.

2. What if I'm afraid of being rejected?

It's natural to feel scared of rejection when expressing your feelings to someone. However, it's important to remember that rejection is a normal part of life and it doesn't define your worth as a person. It's better to be honest and take the risk than to always wonder "what if?"

3. Should I wait for the "right" moment to tell her?

While it's important to choose an appropriate time and place to express your feelings, there is no "perfect" moment. If you keep waiting for the right moment, you may miss your chance. Trust your instincts and choose a time when you feel comfortable and confident.

4. How can I make sure she understands how I feel?

Communication is key in any relationship. Be open and honest when expressing your feelings and make sure to listen to her as well. Also, try to be specific and give examples of why you like her and what makes her special to you.

5. What if she doesn't feel the same way?

It's important to be prepared for the possibility that she may not feel the same way. If that happens, try to handle the situation gracefully and respect her feelings. Remember that it's not a reflection of your worth as a person and there are plenty of other people out there who may be a better match for you.