Glass-silicone-glass bonding (tension vs shear strength?)

In summary, when repairing a glass aquarium with a cracked top brace, it is important to consider the dimensions and location of the new brace in relation to the vertical sides. Additionally, the shear strength of the joint should be taken into account to ensure that the new brace can withstand the forces placed upon it.
theicecreamda
I'm attempting to repair a glass aquarium.
Here is a drawing I made when I ordered it originally,

5524681760_00ba62f7fd_z.jpg

the top brace has developed 2 small cracks.
6894713566_4663da8c3d.jpg

So I'd like to empty the tank, then remove the old brace, and replace it.
But I'm trying to figure out what dimensions I need the new piece to be.

Can it be cut to match the outer dimensions of the vertical sides, and sit on top?
6910878064_9090b3788b.jpg

Or does it need to sit inside, flush with the top edge of the vertical sides?
7056962347_b6f034a323.jpg

The first style would be a lot easier to do in this situation, but as it sits, the brace is in the second spot.

Why can't I find anything about the differences between shear and tensile strength of this joint? Does it even matter? I can see that the vertical edges are experiencing both of these loads.

edit: I found this
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/108.html
Cured Properties - MECHANICAL
Hardness 30 (Shore A)
Tensile Strength 28 kg/cm2 (400 psi)
Elongation 450%
Tear Strength 8 kg/cm (45 lb/in)
Peel Strength 7 kg/cm (40 lb/in)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Shear Strength 14 kg/cm2 (200 psi)It looks like the shear strength is the limiting factor in this case. So if the glass sides are strong enough to withstand the forces of shear, then the brace should be fine. Otherwise, you may need to modify the design and either reinforce the glass sides or use a thicker brace with more shear strength.

What is glass-silicone-glass bonding?

Glass-silicone-glass bonding is a process in which two pieces of glass are bonded together using a layer of silicone adhesive. This creates a strong, transparent bond between the two pieces of glass.

How is glass-silicone-glass bonding different from other types of bonding?

Glass-silicone-glass bonding is unique because it creates a bond that is both strong and flexible. This allows the bonded glass to withstand tension and shear forces without breaking.

What is the difference between tension and shear strength in glass-silicone-glass bonding?

Tension strength refers to the ability of the bonded glass to resist being pulled apart. Shear strength, on the other hand, refers to the ability to resist sliding forces. In glass-silicone-glass bonding, both tension and shear strength are important for creating a strong, durable bond.

Which type of strength is more important in glass-silicone-glass bonding?

Both tension and shear strength are equally important in glass-silicone-glass bonding. The combination of these two types of strength creates a bond that can withstand a variety of forces and maintain its integrity.

How can I test the tension and shear strength of a glass-silicone-glass bond?

Tension and shear strength can be tested through various methods such as tensile and shear strength tests. These tests involve applying a controlled amount of force to the bonded glass and measuring the amount of force needed to break the bond. These tests can be conducted in a laboratory setting using specialized equipment.