Global position and orientation of a point relative to another

In summary: Then you would do the following:1) Multiply the Tx, Ty, Tz by the desired translation vector2) Add the 1 in the last column to get the final translation vector.Hope that helps!
helloearthling
Hi there all,

I have a personal project I'm working on and since I haven't done any linear algebra in many years I'm not sure what I think is right, is right.

I'm also not entirely sure this is the right place to ask but I'm asking more for confirmation/clarification of methodology than any solving so I think this board is more appropriate than the homework one.

So here goes

I have the following:
1. The global location of node (let's call it C). Let this be: [itex]X_{C},Y_{C},Z_{C}[/itex]
2. The global rotation of C (by global rotation I mean the rotation of the node as if the global origin were shifted to the centre of the node - does this have a specific term? I hope that made sense)
Let's call the X,Y,Z rotations of C [itex]\gamma[/itex],[itex]\beta[/itex],[itex]\alpha[/itex] respectively
3. a point (let's call it B) exists with a known offset in the local X,Y,Z directions. Let's call these offset values: XL,YL,ZL from C. What I mean by L is that if C is rotated in the X,Y,Z then C has a new local axis and the offset occurs in that direction.

So what I want to find is:
The global location and rotation of B given the above.

What I've done but am just not sure if it's right:
I have a relative rotation matrix solved by doing CR = [itex]Z \times Y \times X[/itex] rotations

which is

$$\textbf{C}_{R}=
\begin{bmatrix}
cos( \alpha) & -sin( \alpha) & 0 \\ sin( \alpha) & cos(\alpha) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
cos(\beta) & 0 & sin(\beta) \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ -sin(\beta) & 0 & cos(\beta)
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & cos(\gamma) & -sin(\gamma) \\ 0 & sin(\gamma) & cos(\gamma)
\end{bmatrix}
$$

(is this in itself right? Am I correct to label it CR ?)

And then I do, to find the Global position of B

$$\textbf{C}_{R}
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma_{B}\\\beta_{B}\\\alpha_{B}
\end{bmatrix}=
\begin{bmatrix}
X_{C}\\Y_{C}\\Z_{C}
\end{bmatrix}$$

, solve for
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma_{B}\\\beta_{B}\\\alpha_{B}
\end{bmatrix}

and to that answer, add
\begin{bmatrix}
X_{L}\\Y_{L}\\Z_{L}
\end{bmatrix}

Is this even correct?

Also, how does one determine the global rotation of B based off the rotation of C and the offset of B. Is it just "the same"? I think I'm overcomplicating thing but I'm honestly not sure.
In addition to the above, how does one determine the global rotation of B based off the rotation of C with additional rotational offsets of C relative to B

I hope that all made sense.

regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone out there that can help? Is my question too confusing?
Is there another thread out there with exactly the same question that someone can direct me too?

Hey helloearthling and welcome to the forums.

If you want to rotate something about a point then what you do is the following:

1) Subtract the rotation center from your point to be rotated
2) Apply the rotation matrix to this new point
3) Add back the rotation origin to get the final point

For 2) You can either compose rotations (like you did above) or you can use one single rotation axis and perform the rotation.

Also if you want to interpolate rotations I'd look at quaternions.

If you want to the translations in matrix algebra, then you will need to introduce a 4x4 matrix where you have Tx, Ty, Tz, 1 in the last column.

What is the definition of global position and orientation?

Global position and orientation refer to the precise location and direction of an object or point in a specific coordinate system, such as latitude and longitude on Earth or x, y, z coordinates in a 3D space. It is used to describe the exact location and orientation of an object in relation to another object or reference point.

What is the difference between global position and orientation?

The main difference between global position and orientation is that position refers to the specific location of an object or point, while orientation refers to the direction or angle of an object or point in relation to a reference point. Position is typically described using coordinates, while orientation is described using angles.

How is global position and orientation measured?

Global position and orientation can be measured using various tools and methods, depending on the coordinate system and accuracy needed. For example, on Earth, position can be measured using GPS coordinates, while orientation can be measured using a compass or gyroscopic sensors. In 3D space, position and orientation can be measured using motion tracking systems or inertial measurement units.

Why is global position and orientation important in scientific research?

Global position and orientation play a crucial role in scientific research as they provide a standardized and precise way to describe the location and orientation of objects, which is essential for accurate data collection and analysis. It allows scientists to compare data from different locations and times, and to understand the relationships between objects in a specific environment.

How does the global position and orientation of an object affect its motion?

The global position and orientation of an object can significantly impact its motion. For example, the position of an object determines its velocity and acceleration, while the orientation can affect its rotation and angular velocity. Understanding the global position and orientation of an object is essential in predicting and controlling its motion.