Going Back to School: A 27-Year-Old's Guide

• Thread starter richard33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the conversation discusses the ease of going back to school, pursuing a PhD, and the concerns and considerations that come with it. The speaker mentions their age and previous education in math, as well as their current job and living situation. They express a desire to do research and actively pursue a PhD, but are unsure about the transition back to a college lifestyle and potential challenges such as finding a roommate and feeling "old." Other speakers in the conversation share their experiences and offer advice, including using old past papers to brush up on knowledge and considering living options such as avoiding student houses and potentially using a stipend for a nearby room. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking everyone for their responses and asking for clarification on letters of recommendation. In
richard33
Hi all,

I searched around for a place to ask this, and this forum seemed especially appropriate. It's my first time posting though, so my apologies if this is out of place.

I'm about to turn 27, and five years ago, I earned a BS in math. I was a very good student, both generally and in math, although I did not do much research outside my coursework.

My question is how easy is it to go back to school? I'm feeling an ever-growing itch to get back into mathematics. The problem is I have a comfortably-paying job (related to math education) and my own apartment now. I'm worried about going back to a college lifestyle. However, I truly have no interest in working full-time and just taking classes in the evenings. My itch is to do research and actively pursue a PhD.

Can anyone provide insight here; how easy is it to go back? Will the material come back to me easily? Am I starting to become too old to pursue a degree full-time? Is it okay if my letters of recommendation come from employers, not professors? Is the transition back to a cramped apartment with a roommate manageable, or put simply, will I feel old?

Sorry for all the questions! Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're pretty young. The only other complicating factor is if you have a family to support. It can become more and more difficult if you have children. If not, go for it.

Well, I started my Engineering degree when I was 28, and I had similar concerns to you. I was worried about being around young, smart things and being discounted because I was a "non-traditional" student.

None of that matters. I am doing very well in my degree, get a lot of business cards from employers and told to call them when I graduate, and I genuinely get on well with my classmates.

I didn't move into a student house (I instead shared with my gf) but I you accept that you're a student, christ, embrace it. Teenagers are a bit like dogs; they're more scared of you than you are of them.

Knowledge-wise, just do some of your old past papers. Best way to brush up.

Maths is typically an exception, though. I know people who were advised not to take a year off before their PhD because they might get "out of the zone". But, that's up to the university to decide. Contact a post-grad admissions tutor and they'll tell you quickly yes or no.

gb7nash said:
You're pretty young. The only other complicating factor is if you have a family to support. It can become more and more difficult if you have children. If not, go for it.

Fortunately, no children.

streeters said:
Well, I started my Engineering degree when I was 28, and I had similar concerns to you. I was worried about being around young, smart things and being discounted because I was a "non-traditional" student.

Thank you for your response. This is precisely whom I was hoping to hear from--people who went through exactly that. Were your letters of recommendation from employers or former professors?

Part of my worry, if I'm being honest, is that I'm still single, although perhaps being around grad students again might fix that? Thanks for the advice; I can start reworking old papers this summer.

I wouldn't expect to live in a student house. Although, is it reasonable to hope that a stipend would afford me a room nearby?

richard33 said:
Were your letters of recommendation from employers or former professors?

I used a former employer. Mind you, I went into my undergrad, not post-grad, so it may be an entirely different kettle of fish. Again, I think it is up to the university to decide here.

richard33 said:
I wouldn't expect to live in a student house. Although, is it reasonable to hope that a stipend would afford me a room nearby?

Oh god, if you can avoid student houses by all means do so. Gross. ergh. argh.
Stipend is usuallt $25k in the US I think (I may be corrected here). In the UK it's about 14k pounds but tax free.

1. What motivated you to write "Going Back to School: A 27-Year-Old's Guide"?

I wrote this guide because I noticed a lack of resources for adults who are considering going back to school after being in the workforce for a significant amount of time. I wanted to share my personal experience and offer helpful tips for others in similar situations.

2. Is it really worth it to go back to school at 27 years old?

Everyone's situation is different, but for me, going back to school at 27 was definitely worth it. It allowed me to advance in my career and gain new skills and knowledge. It also opened up new opportunities and helped me achieve personal goals.

3. How can I balance work, school, and other responsibilities as a 27-year-old student?

Balancing multiple responsibilities can be challenging, but it's not impossible. The key is to prioritize and manage your time effectively. This may mean cutting back on certain activities or seeking support from family and friends. It's important to also take care of your physical and mental health during this busy time.

4. What challenges can I expect to face as a 27-year-old student?

One of the biggest challenges may be adjusting to the academic environment after being out of school for a while. You may also face financial challenges and have to juggle work and school schedules. It's important to stay organized and seek support from professors and classmates when needed.

5. Are there any specific tips for excelling academically as a 27-year-old student?

Some tips for excelling academically include staying organized, actively participating in class, seeking help when needed, and staying motivated. It's also important to remember that age and life experience can be an advantage in the classroom, so use your unique perspective to your advantage.