Going into a depression(not serious just venting)

• Thread starter Johnyi
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker received a 6.5/10 on an online math test and is frustrated because they knew the material well. The professor will only count the best 10 out of 11 quizzes, making it crucial to get all A's. The speaker is also worried about their cumulative GPA and getting into U of I Champaign. They are stressed but the other person advises them to not be too hard on themselves and to learn from their mistakes.
Johnyi
I got a freaking 6.5/10 on my online mymathlab test! I hate that damn thing! I knew the material perfectly but somehow i just managed the choke! The professor said he is going to give 11 online quizzes and take the best 10... so its like i didnt take any at all but still... i now have to get A's on every quiz :(

Aside from that, i feel like i kind of don't understand my bio class, and its just all frustrating!

The reason I am stressing so much is because my cumulative GPA is at a 3.12 right now... and if i get all A's on my 4 classes ill have a 3.4 and then apply after this semester to U of I champaign, and if i don't get all A's ill have a mere 3.2 or 3.3 and i feel like i won't get accepted... I know its only been a week but I am dying of stress already!

Physics news on Phys.org
Whatever happens, happens. It is the truth. Go for shooting 10's on your quizzes but don't be disappointed if you get 7-9's on your quizzes man. I kind of went through the same ordeal not too long ago. The quiz was very easy I knew everything, but missed one crucial part and I did something very silly that I should not have done...We all go through it. If you get 10's on all quizzes, I applaud you! If you don't that is fine because we will go through these obstacles. Quizzes, and especially exams, make people do things that they regularly wouldn't do (happened to me plenty of times). I trust that you will be fine and know your stuff. As long as you realize your mistakes and learn from it. Mistakes are necessary to improve your scores.

Good luck!

1. What are the common symptoms of depression?

Some common symptoms of depression include low mood or feeling sad, loss of interest in activities that were once enjoyable, changes in appetite or weight, difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much, low energy or fatigue, feelings of guilt or worthlessness, trouble concentrating, and thoughts of self-harm or suicide. It is important to note that everyone experiences depression differently and not all symptoms may be present.

2. What causes depression?

There is no one specific cause of depression. It is believed to be a result of a combination of factors, including genetics, brain chemistry, hormones, and life experiences. Stressful life events, trauma, and certain medical conditions may also contribute to the development of depression.

3. How is depression diagnosed?

Depression is typically diagnosed by a mental health professional, such as a psychologist or psychiatrist. They will conduct an assessment and evaluate your symptoms, medical history, and any potential underlying causes. This may include completing questionnaires, discussing your symptoms, and ruling out any other possible medical conditions.

4. Can depression be treated?

Yes, depression can be treated. The most common forms of treatment include therapy, medication, or a combination of both. Therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, can help individuals identify and change negative thought patterns and behaviors. Medications, such as antidepressants, can help balance brain chemicals that may be contributing to depression symptoms.

5. How long does it take to recover from depression?

The length of time it takes to recover from depression varies for each individual. It may depend on the severity of symptoms, the effectiveness of treatment, and the individual's support system. It is important to seek help and follow a treatment plan, as untreated depression can last for months or even years. With proper treatment and support, many individuals are able to recover from depression and manage their symptoms.