Going to the US to study physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of studying physics in the US and the difficulty of staying and living in the country after graduation. The first topic is considered achievable with good grades and sufficient funds, while the second presents more challenges and is dependent on various factors such as finding employment and obtaining the proper status. These obstacles also apply to studying physics in other countries.
Tio Barnabe
So I'm currently in the process of getting a bachelor degree on physics, in a quite respected university of my country. But I have an interest in living in a country like the US. I read that it's very difficult to live in there. It seems that only tourists and workers are allowed to stay in the country.

So going to US to study physics would be good in two ways; the first is that I would live in the US, the second is that I would study physics, which is what I enjoy.

What are your thoughts?

OBS: despite I mentioning United States, it would be great to study physics in other countries, too.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two separate and wildly-different topics in your thread here: (i) going to graduate school in the US and (ii) staying and living in the US.

Each of those have different answers.

The first one isn't insurmountable unless you are from N. Korea, etc. that have been considered by the US Dept. of State as either sensitive or terrorist-supporting countries (even then, there are students from such countries in the US). If you have good grades and have the funds, you are likely to be admitted to the numerous schools here.

The second is more of a challenge. To be able to stay on beyond your academic program requires a number of things to happen, such as being offered employment, and that your potential employer is willing to go through the process of seeking you the proper status to get you employed in the country. In other words, it requires a number of things to happen, and most of these are outside of your control.

Zz.

Likes Tio Barnabe

1. What are the admission requirements for studying physics in the US?

To study physics in the US, most universities require students to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and other sciences. They also typically require standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT, and a high school diploma or equivalent. Additionally, international students may need to provide evidence of English proficiency through tests like the TOEFL or IELTS.

2. How long does it take to complete a physics degree in the US?

The length of a physics degree program in the US can vary depending on the level of degree pursued. A bachelor's degree typically takes 4 years to complete, while a master's degree can take 1-2 more years. A PhD in physics can take an additional 3-6 years to complete.

3. Are there any scholarship opportunities for international students studying physics in the US?

Yes, there are many scholarship opportunities for international students studying physics in the US. Some are offered by individual universities, while others are offered by organizations and foundations. It is important to research and apply for these scholarships early, as they can be competitive.

4. What are the job prospects for physics graduates in the US?

Physics is a highly valued and versatile degree, with many job opportunities in various industries. Graduates can find employment in research labs, government agencies, technology companies, and more. The demand for physics graduates is expected to continue to grow in the future.

5. Are there any specific visa requirements for international students studying physics in the US?

Yes, international students studying physics in the US will need to obtain a student visa, usually an F-1 or J-1 visa. This requires a valid passport, proof of financial support, and acceptance into a US university. Students must also maintain their visa status throughout their studies by meeting academic and immigration requirements.