Goldstein Mechanics example motion of one particle in polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about a student preparing for a course on Classical Mechanics and using Goldstein's book for practice problems. The student is confused about a derivation in the book and asks for clarification. The expert explains that the chain rule is used to derive the equation and also provides a tip on using LaTex notation for time derivatives. The summary also includes the LaTex notation for the chain rule and confirmation that the student's understanding is correct.
Jillds
I have a course next semester on Classical Mechanics (mostly Lagrangian problems), for a second time. I'm ok for the theoretical preparation, but I'm trying to work ahead on problems and exercises, which was badly explained and without much of any resources. So, one of the sources to exercise on my own is Goldstein's book, and am just working through the examples of the first chapter.
However, for the second example I stumble across a derivation I'm confused how the author got to that one.

Example: motion of one particle in polar coordinates, page 27 (3rd ed), for the theta equation.

For the derivative of $$(mr² \dot \Theta)$$ he finds: $$mr² \ddot \Theta + 2 mr \dot r \dot \Theta$$.
While I expect it to be: $$mr² \ddot \Theta + 2 mr \dot \Theta$$
Where does Goldstein get the $$\dot r$$ from?

Edited: rewrote the question in LaTex notation

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The second term is taking into account that the radius can vary in time. Use the chain rule.

You can also see that your second term doesn't have the right units, and you need a second time derivative somewhere.

Thank you: yes you are right, I don't have the same units in my second term as the first one. I'll make a note of it on the chain rule. I assume that would be the following one:

##\sum_{j} \frac{\delta^{2}L}{\delta q_{j}\delta \dot q_{i}} \dot q_{j}+\sum_{j} \frac{\delta^{2}L}{\delta \dot q_{j} \delta \dot q_{i}} \ddot q_{j}+\frac{\delta^{2}L}{\delta \dot q_{i} \delta t}##

Edited: added \dot LaTex notation

Last edited:
writing it out in a chain rule that would make for:

##\frac{d}{dt}(mr² \dot \Theta)= \frac{\delta}{\delta \dot \Theta}(mr² \dot \Theta)\frac{d \dot \Theta}{dt}+\frac{\delta}{\delta r}(mr² \dot \Theta)\frac{dr}{dt}=mr²\ddot \Theta+2mr \dot \Theta \dot r##

Is that correct?

Edited: added \dot LaTex notation

Last edited:
That looks right to me.

I should note that in LaTex you can write time derivatives using the \dot, e.g., $$\dot r.$$ For higher time derivatives just put as many 'd's as there are time derivatives, e.g., \dddot r is : $$\dddot r.$$

Last edited:
Thanks! That'll help with future notations.

1. What is the fundamental principle of Goldstein Mechanics?

The fundamental principle of Goldstein Mechanics is the principle of least action, which states that a physical system will follow the path that minimizes the action integral, where action is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time.

2. What is the significance of using polar coordinates in the example of motion of one particle?

Polar coordinates are useful in the example of motion of one particle because they allow for a more intuitive and concise representation of circular or rotational motion. They also make it easier to solve problems involving central forces, such as gravitational or electrostatic forces.

3. How is the Lagrangian defined in Goldstein Mechanics?

The Lagrangian is defined as the kinetic energy minus the potential energy of a system, where both the kinetic and potential energies are expressed in terms of the generalized coordinates and their derivatives.

4. What is the role of generalized coordinates in Goldstein Mechanics?

Generalized coordinates are used to describe the configuration of a system in terms of its degrees of freedom. They allow for a more general and flexible approach to solving problems in mechanics, as they are not limited to Cartesian coordinates.

5. Can Goldstein Mechanics be applied to systems with multiple particles?

Yes, Goldstein Mechanics can be applied to systems with multiple particles. The Lagrangian and equations of motion can be extended to include all particles in the system, making it a powerful tool for analyzing complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom.