1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good fiction. . .?

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    Please delete

<< berkeman merged two threads >>

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jul 29, 2009 #3
    Thank you, I shall look into these. ^-^

5. Jul 29, 2009 #4
    Non-fiction related to my field

I'm entering the Electrical Engineering Tech field, and I'd like some good non-fiction (no textbooks) suggestions.

Thanks a lot :D

Zion

6. Jul 29, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Jul 29, 2009 #6
    Re: Non-fiction related to my field

Well it's not directly electrical engineering but Feynman's "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman" is an absolute classic regardless.

8. Jul 30, 2009 #7

Any good biography of Faraday, besides being a pioneer of your field his "rags to riches" story is amazing. Also, Davy, his mentor, was a gas...

Maybe:

The Electric Life of Michael Faraday by Alan W. Hirshfeld

9. Jul 31, 2009 #8
    ugh they merged my thread that i was trying to let drop off because it has an incorrect title. I kept trying to change it to "nonfiction" but I won't change correctly.

10. Aug 2, 2009 #9

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Signor Marconi's magic box, by Weightman. About Marconi's quest to develop wireless communication.

Oliver Heaviside, by Nahin. This can get a little mathematical, but you can skip the math(which is mostly in appendices anyway) and still get a lotout of the history. Heaviside developed a lot of the tools used by EEs, and was quite a strange character.

The science of radio, by Nahin. The first half is about the early history of radio. The second half is essentially basic signals and systems, with an interesting slant. If it is too much for you, save it until after you freshman year. This was supposedly written as a textbook, but I am recommending it anyway. Assumes calculus and one year of calculus-based physics.

Player Piano, by Vonnegut.

11. Aug 2, 2009 #10

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops - player piano is fiction!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook