1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good history of physics book?

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    Can someone suggest a good introduction to the history of physics, possibly not a tome but even not too simple. About 300 pages, with some formula, with intro to the basic concepts.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you looking for a history book or a Physics text? The 2 are not the same, you will generlaly not find much physics in a history book, and very little history in a physics text.

A good history book is "In Search of Schrödinger's Cat" by John Gribbin

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    I'm looking for a history book. One that describes the conceptual developments of physics from Galileo to QM (but not only on QM) to the layman (but not too much, some formula say derivatives and integrals and average technical level is ok).

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4
    I have read some good reviews of "the evolution of physics" by Einstien, although it appears to skip the math altogether (and one would guess it doesn't cover QM).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  6. Mar 23, 2012 #5
    At a non-technical level (no equations), I'd recommend The Arrow Of Time by Highfield and Coveney.

7. Mar 24, 2012 #6
    "Great Physicists" by Cropper

8. Mar 24, 2012 #7
    "Humanistic Perspectives for Introductory Physics" by Hasan Padamsee

will meet your criteria, but I assume its difficult to find. Try your state-wide library exchange network. A phenomenal and not at all "tome-ish" or "poppy" book is

"Time for Science Education" by Michael R. Matthews.

The latter is what secured in my heart a passion for the history of physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook