What Is a Concise Introduction to the History of Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a history book on physics that is not too technical but still covers important concepts and developments. Some suggested titles are "In Search of Schrödinger's Cat" by John Gribbin, "The Evolution of Physics" by Einstein, "The Arrow of Time" by Highfield and Coveney, "Great Physicists" by Cropper, "Humanistic Perspectives for Introductory Physics" by Hasan Padamsee, and "Time for Science Education" by Michael R. Matthews.
Aidyan
Can someone suggest a good introduction to the history of physics, possibly not a tome but even not too simple. About 300 pages, with some formula, with intro to the basic concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for a history book or a Physics text? The 2 are not the same, you will generlaly not find much physics in a history book, and very little history in a physics text.

A good history book is "In Search of Schrödinger's Cat" by John Gribbin

I'm looking for a history book. One that describes the conceptual developments of physics from Galileo to QM (but not only on QM) to the layman (but not too much, some formula say derivatives and integrals and average technical level is ok).

I have read some good reviews of "the evolution of physics" by Einstien, although it appears to skip the math altogether (and one would guess it doesn't cover QM).

Last edited:
At a non-technical level (no equations), I'd recommend The Arrow Of Time by Highfield and Coveney.

"Great Physicists" by Cropper

"Humanistic Perspectives for Introductory Physics" by Hasan Padamsee

will meet your criteria, but I assume its difficult to find. Try your state-wide library exchange network. A phenomenal and not at all "tome-ish" or "poppy" book is

"Time for Science Education" by Michael R. Matthews.

The latter is what secured in my heart a passion for the history of physics.

FAQ: What Is a Concise Introduction to the History of Physics?

What is the best book for learning about the history of physics?

The best book for learning about the history of physics is subjective and depends on the reader's preferences. However, some popular choices among scientists and historians include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, and "The Great Physicists from Galileo to Einstein" by George Gamow.

What time period does a good history of physics book cover?

A good history of physics book should cover a wide range of time periods, starting from ancient civilizations like the Greeks and Egyptians who laid the foundation for physics, to the present day with modern advancements in quantum mechanics and relativity. It should also cover major events and breakthroughs in physics, such as the discovery of electricity and the development of the atomic bomb.

Do I need a background in physics to understand a history of physics book?

No, a good history of physics book should be accessible to readers with little to no background in physics. It should explain complex concepts in a clear and concise manner, making it understandable for anyone interested in the subject.

Can a history of physics book help me understand current developments in physics?

Yes, studying the history of physics can provide valuable insights into current developments and theories in the field. By understanding the historical context and progression of ideas, readers can gain a deeper understanding of how modern physics concepts were developed and how they relate to each other.

Are there any online resources for learning about the history of physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about the history of physics, such as websites, blogs, and online courses. Some popular options include the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, the History of Physics section on the American Physical Society website, and the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on the History of Science by the University of Oklahoma.